So very sad. Lost more weight on my own, then w/surgery

Sucha Pretty Face
on 4/26/11 5:58 am, edited 4/26/11 6:10 am - MA
My aappetite is not small, although it is much smaller then pre-surgery.  

I needed to be told of capacity limit's, so I didn't go over.  My stomach has never experienced "not" feeling hungry, and I never had to find out by trial and error that something contained too much of anything. (ex: sauteed veggies)  

I never had any concrete food plan to follow, I guess they assumed it would just all fall into place on it's own.  You know "eat sugar free, eat low fat, no fried foods, no soda, etc" Well someone also needed to say try to "keep it no more then X-AMOUNT"

We eat on the run a lot, I was always told "not a problem, you'll never fini**** so take the rest home" and that's what I do. They said, after the surgery, you won't be able to eat a lot, so you'll be fine, just stop at your first sign of fullness.

WELL I'M NOT FINE!

A year later and I'm only down 69 pounds. (from pre-surgery) and 84 pounds (from surgery deciding weight) Still 6 pounds from my lowest do-it-yourselfer weight loss a few years earlier. (and 25 of THAT is because I was re-hospitalized 10 day's after surgery and had to delay eating for another 2 weeks)

Dr's restrictions on weight strengthening (due to medical issues) and bursitis preventing more walking then I'd like. (you should see me limping on the treadmill)  But still, I did more on my own variation of Atkins Diet.

I'm thinking that crying and hearing my stomach growl, from being hungry, will be forever.

Emily F.
on 4/29/11 4:54 am
AWWWW. Big hugs. Have you checked for thyroid or definicies? Maybe there is a medical reason you haven't lost more than you think you should.
justmealso
on 5/19/11 6:29 am, edited 5/19/11 6:31 am
I know just how you feel.  I lost all my weight before surgery.  I had no limitations or restrictions after surgery.  Long story short...RNYs are all different.  After many questions I found out I had a 2 oz pouch to begin with.  He used a large stoma hole punch rather than the little one.  Within a couple months my stoma was 2 cm.  (no I didn't cheat so I lost weight in spite of my surgery but the hunger was unbearable).  He bypassed between 70 and 100 cm so I have no malabsorption of calories or vitamins.  All my labs are normal (always have been).  No supplements needed.  Basically I ended up with a useless surgery for weight control.  Then I was in the Restore trial which was discontinued because it didn't work.  All in all I lost 14 lbs. by the end of the first year and now that is back too.  I am dieting weight off with tons of fruits and veggies, no simple carbohydrates and only healthy fats.  Yes I still drink my water and eat my protein but it doesn't help and it never has.  My surgeon told me 20 % of the surgeries fail.  Most people don't know the specifics of their surgery beforehand.  Maybe you had a minimal rny as well.  It is what it is so my suggestion is to count calories and lose it the old fashioned way.  I also had bursitis in my hip.  I saw a physical therapist and she gave me exercises that strengthen the hip.  I am able to walk without a limp now.  Perhaps that would help.  Most people in your position (and mine) get blasted by others on this web site and offered ridiculous advice (just because you can eat it doesn't mean you should...nothing tastes as good as thin feels, etc.).  Personally I didn't have a RNY to not feel any different than before surgery.  Then they leave OH and aren't heard from again.  Best of luck to you, Just me

Emily F.
on 7/31/11 2:34 am
How are you doing now??
justmealso
on 8/16/11 10:11 am
Hi Emily
You really are kind to ask...thank you.  I am kind of alone with all this.
Last week I started something new because I really want to get to my normal BMI once in my life.  I am weighing myself every morning.  If I am 146 I will just eat whatever I want.  If I am more than 146 I am eating only protein, fat and veggies and logging every bite.  I have been under 1400 cal. per day since I started doing this.  My hunger level without carbs is much less.  I still crave fruits and starches but with my hunger level lower I can choose not to eat them.  I have never believed in the Adkins type of diet but weight just kept piling on so I thought I would try this.  So far it seems to be working.  Perhaps this is what it takes for me to lose weight permanently.  Take care and I'll post back once in a while.  If this works maybe it will help other people that have my type of surgery.  My labs are always normal.  Bone scan and teeth are great 5 years out.  I really am able to eat anything and never get sick or dump.  I just want to get to a normal BMI.  Take care, Just me

Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 868 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1199 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 977 views