Getting to know you! :o)

Sue
on 4/27/05 9:13 am - Barberton, OH
Since the message board for June is filling up don't you think we need to get to know each other better? We do this on the Ohio board and everyone seems to love it! I am not Vickie...who does this on the 0hio board but people really seem to like it! 1. Tell everyone a little about your self. 2. How are you handling the pressure of other peoples good/bad comments? 3. What are you taking to the hospital? 4. What type of procedure are you having? 1. My name is Sue and I have been married to my husband for 32 years. We have 2 daughters and 3 1/2 grandchildren. I am a stay at home grandma! 2. I haven't told too many people so far. I have lost around 70 pounds on my own so people are aware of my weight loss...so I don't think too many people wil figure that I had surgery until much later! I really don't want to hear how someone else does because they always seem to tell you the negative! I am trying to stay very focused and positive! 3. I am taking my cd player and getting some audio books to listen to. 4. I am having an open Roux-ey-Y at University Hospital in Cleveland. Sue
Meka F.
on 4/28/05 7:37 am - Bellevue, WA
Hi Sue! 1. I'm Meka, 26, employed full time and a part time student. 2. I only told 3 people about my surgery plans prior to receiving approval, since then I've been trying to tell everyone in person when possible, in part to gauge their true reaction. So far, I'm happy to report everyone has been surprisingly positive and supporting about it. 3. I haven't really thought about this much, but besides the necessities I'll probably take books, magazines and a notebook to start a journal about everything I'm feeling and experiencing. And definitely my cell phone! 4. I'm having laporascopic roux-y on June 22nd in Seattle.
smallerbyhalf
on 4/28/05 9:14 am - Phila, PA
Hi Sue, I am 45 years old. I work at a school and therefore June is a perfect time for me to have surgery...SUMMER'S OFF! I have only told my two daughters and one friend at work. I have had no negative comments...only concern from my daughters regarding the risks. But life is a risk...is is not?I also have four grandchildren. My 11 yo grandson just finished six weeks of daily radiation treatment for a brain tumor (doing really well so far) so I am feeling a little guilty if I'm causing my girls any more stress. January and February was really hard for my family, but they stay positive and insist they will be there to help on this journey. I just want to make sure I stay there for them! I am taking "come home" clothes, something to read and my cell phone too! I also heard it is a good idea to take chapstick because your mouth really gets dry. So I'll take some of that too! I am having Lap RNY at Presbyterian Hosp...(affiliated with U of P). I agree, I think this was a great idea. Good luck to Everyone!
Laurel D.
on 4/29/05 5:31 am - Radcliff, KY
Hi there! 1. I'm Laurel. I'm 46. I have an almost 21 year old daughter who is finishing her junior year of college and of whom I am very proud. I am a Special Ed. teacher and have taught in the same school for 23 years. I also have a part time job as a trainer for a call center for a major media research company. I'm a single (divorced) Mom putting my daughter through college myself not just a workaholic! 2. I'm staying pretty positive. I have complete faith in my surgeon. I have several good friends who have had the procedure and are doing very well! My daughter is really the only negative voice and I think she is scared more than anything else! 3. I've been told to take a heavy robe, wool socks, mittens, etc. in anticipation of being cold after surgery. I've also been told to bring a small fan because I will be too warm so I'm not sure what to think. I will probably bring some reading material but I suspect I will sleep alot! 4. I'm having open Roux-ey-Y at Norton Hospital in Louisville!
Rosemarie G.
on 4/30/05 3:05 am - Egg Harbor Twp., NJ
Hi, I think this is a great idea! 1. My name is Rosemarie Giunta and I am an elementary music teacher in Pleasantvill, NJ, just outside of Atlantic City. I am 52 years old, single, and I have told my friends at my school and at home that I am getting bariatric surgery. 2. The response has been mostly positive--a few people even asked why I had waited so long!! My family has worries, of course, but I think I have finally won them over to my side. It's is what I need to do! I have alot of trouble walking because of arthritis in my knees and the weight makes it so much more painful, I'm sure. I have been told by my surgeon to lose weight, but I am having a terrible time doing that! My surgeon is excellent, but he is a real stickler for the things he wants done--the stress of knowing I have to do it certainly affects my eating habits! I haven't gained weight, but I haven't lost any either! 3. I am taking an oversized gown, passed down to me from a friend who had the surgery. She claims that not all hospitals have the larger sizes, and if they do they only have a few--why do I believe this might be true!! I am also taking a very roomy "going home" outfit--on my friends advice. Other then that, I hadn't thought about it, but it is very interesting reading everyone's ideas. 4. I haven't heard from my insurance yet, but I believe I am having an open RNY on June 14 at Temple Hospital in Philadelphia. I could have it laproscopically if I could lose some weight! Rosemarie
Angelina A.
on 5/4/05 8:18 am - Sanborn, NY
Hi Sue, Congrats on your surgery, soon to come. My date is 6/23 & I am very excited. I am a mother of 2 girls, and I am 29 years old. I am having gastric bypass surgery at Sisters of Charity Hospital in Buffalo, NY. I will probably take pictures of my children and some good books! I will be thinking of you in the weeks to come. Good Luck!
AntNat
on 5/4/05 8:39 am - Kansas City, MO
Great idea Sue. I have been lurking aroung the OH website message boards and have just never felt connected. Maybe this will help, so here goes: 1. I will be 41 years old this month and have been divorced for almost 6 years. I work for the federal government here in Kansas City and do alot of public speaking and training about the Medicare program. I have a 3-year old nephew that is the love of my life and I would really like to be able to keep up with him and get down on the floor effortlessly to play with the trains. 2. I have told just about everyone around me about the upcoming surgery, except for my mother. I'm going to wait for a couple of weeks before the surgery so she won't have so long to worry. My mother is a chronic worrier, but ultimately I think she will be supportive. Everyone at work has been very supportive and it is amazing how many people that they know that have had the surgery and I have heard lots of success stories. 3. I hadn't really thought about what to take to the hospital, but I am an avid reader so I will probably make sure I have a couple of books. 4. I am having the Lap RNY at Olathe Medical Center in Kansas on June 13th and I am sooooo excited I can't hardly stand it.
Most Active
Recent Topics