Fresh From Surgery Fears?

new.life88
on 6/21/09 5:46 pm - CA
I had my surgery 6/17, was in the hospital 2 days, have been home 2 days and find myself feeling really pretty great - essentially no complications, I can drink 8 glasses of water each day, get the protein in, etc. But I have fears and wondered if anyone else had the same ones and how they are coping with them:

I have an irrational fear my pouch was left too big - it is very easy for me to drink water, eat, etc. I thought it would be harder.

I have a fear I will fail this; let myself down and all those who have supported me - but mostly me (after preparing for this for 2 years)

I smell food, only days after surgery - like my neighbors BBQ - and my mouth waters and I think about it - it feels like I think about it too much. Truthfully if presented with it, I would not eat it - my stomach says NO for sure - but my head still thinks and my mouth still waters - it scares me. I have a fear my old urges will return and over come me; a fear of failing again.

I read blogs here of folks a month or two out from surgery eating crackers, nuts, and cookies and such - in very small amounts mind you - and my NUT and doc are saying none of that (refined sugar, carbs, nuts, etc) for 10 or 12 months - the fact that se newbies went to these food so quickly and could not stop themselves scares me - will I do the same?

I have to emphasize I feel great. And that I am grateful and positive about my surgery...but are these fears normal? How did others manage them? And what separates the real winners (those who do not 'cheat' on the progressions of food) from those who do not resist?

I want more than anything to be successful at this long term - my lifetime. So I need to tackle these fears......comments anyone???
kelibr
on 6/22/09 1:27 am
I have all these same fears as well.  But just keep thinking about how good you feel seeing the scale go down.  Focus on one day at a time.  You can do it.. =)

Kelly

High/Surgery/Current/Goal
       288/242/138/145

new.life88
on 6/22/09 7:42 am - CA
It is good to know one is not alone in worrying about these things, thanks. And I will take your advice...so looking forward to seeing my weight go doooooooooowwwwnnnnnn.  Thanks, Kelly and best wishes to you with your WLS too!
kelibr
on 6/22/09 10:48 pm
Thanks! 

High/Surgery/Current/Goal
       288/242/138/145

rebland66
on 6/22/09 7:06 am
I've read a lot of post also, but what I came up with is that everyone is different.  Like for me, I'm just now starting to drink like you and have those "taste buds" awaken again.  After the surgery, I could look at my favorite food network shows and feel absolutely nothing, but today I am not able to.  This is the first day that I can get all my protein in and I'm just now feeling better (energy wise).  Look at it as a blessing that you're able to drink and get your "requirements" in as recommended.  For the past week, I've felt so bad and hurt (knot in chest) everytime I attempt to drink anything no matter how slow.  Our bodies are different and because you are aware of what's happening...you will always be on top of it.

Keep us posted.
new.life88
on 6/22/09 7:45 am - CA

Your points are all logical and well taken; thanks for the perspective. I am so glad you are now able to start to drink more and get your protein in.  I know that makes a big difference. And I do hope your chest pain lessens.

And who knows? As you say every body is differnt and things can change at any point in the process for all of us bioth good and bad - I will just keep doing things to the letter and be grateful for what is working.

NewDayDawning
on 6/23/09 2:23 am

I was just sitting outside after my 1 mile walk thinking - It is just TOO easy for me to get 80 ounces of fluid in a day.. Most meals I eat half a cup of cream soup or yogurt with no problems.. and in 20 minutes already - no discomfort.  For breakfast my tummy doesn't seem to want much - 1/4 cup if I am lucky - but I follow that up with a 23g protein nectar (90 calories) and I am good until 3 p.m.

I too am terrified that this is too easy for me.  I prayed I would be like the people that "breeze" right through the surgery and now here I am.. and I'm terrified of it. 

I have a dr. visit today and I am going to ask him about it.  For one week post op, should I be doing this good?  Feeling this good?

I totally hear you on the food smelling/sounding good.  I think that is the "head hunger" you read about on here.

On Sunday my family had a bbq and my father made bacon cheeseburgars on the grill.  I was almost in tears because it sounded/smelled so good.  Then for dessert they had peanut butter chocolate cake and lemon tarts.  It was absolute torture.  I had to leave I got so crabby.. ha ha

I think it is going to take time to adjust - right now we're drinking and "eating" cream soups.. it is hard to think that in 6 months we will have so many more satisfying healthy choices.  This is only a short term stop in a long journey.

Thanks for voicing your concerns.. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

Stephanie

Dr. Benn gave me an incredible tool.. and I intend to make the most out of it!!

new.life88
on 6/23/09 6:21 am - CA
We are really in synch, you and . Everything you said about eating and drinking is the same for me...I can get it all down...takes about 20 minutes tops...I feel great....absolutely no complications.  And i prayed and visualized it would be this way for months and here it is, and I am suspicious of it! Amazing, huh?

I just had my doc visit today and she explained what others told me here, which may be comforting for you to know - it helped me:

For some people the pouch is 'asleep' at this stage, healing nerves and not fully connected in terms of your discomfort, fullness, etc. This is a good things as it means we can eat the full amounts of what we are prescribed, get all the water down, and therefore provide our bodies with the protein it needs to heal.

In 2 or 4 weeks - post surgery - everyone is different, your pouch wakes up and this coincides when the Stage 3 starts and your portions get a little less pureed, more sturdier - but smaller. She reassured me I will feel fuller faster at this point.  And just to follow all the measurements and guidelines to a tee and it will take care of itself.

We are actually very fortunate.  Many people suffer a lot of issues at this stage, but we drew the lucky sticks for this round. Our bodies are adapting as they should and our pouches are quietly progressing like they should.

She and I also talked about the fear, and she encouraged me to keep it.  In a healthy and constructive way.  Because as time passes and the weight goes and you feel a bit more ****y about food choices it will be too easy to try things in tiny amounts that you should be avoiding (refined sugar, etc.). She actually recommends NEVER trying it again.  That those with the best success rate simply view themselves as someone who can not have refined sugar products.  I want to be that person and yet I hesitate to say I can, because it seems so final.  But until I reach my goal I am committed to none of it.  After that, I hope to continue it in a way that works - like having a few bites on vacation or stuff like that.  But thinking about it too much overwhelms me so I am just focusing on this getting to the goal part.

Thanks for your reply, I really enjoyed the solidarity!
Most Active