June 1st Check In and Intro

agrace
on 8/1/09 12:06 pm - TX

HI Everyone,
I am Ana and I had a revision from a VBG 13 years ago to a RNY on June 1st.
I started at 310pds (high) and am now at 269 (lost 31pds since the surgery and 40 total). I hear revisions are slower to lose (more like lapbands....so I am trying to be patient. 

This week the scale hasn't moved at all so far...although I am eating about 600-800 calories a day and exercising 3-4 days a week (45min on the elliptical, burning 350-400 calories).

This is my second stall since the surgery but my first stall lasted 2 weeks as I was having complication with the revision. Long story but possible leak and 2 infections in my tummy  :(
Thank God, I am all better now :)

Again my loss has been slower, but I am trying to stay positive. Like many others have said, I am scared to death that I will be the person this doesn't work for and especially since it's a revision, I am worried about being a double failure. I guess it's natural to be afraid.

I have had 2 major dumping episodes and in both cases I just felt very unwell and went home and fell asleep. The last one was on Sushi and I fell asleep for 5 hours...this never happens in the middle of the day.  I guess I am still learning what triggers this....

As an fyi, my loss chart looks like this...
June 1 299
June 4 310 (fluid from surgery)
June 15 280
June 29 285 (what!!...complications/fluid)
July 6 278
July 13 277
July 20 272
July 27 269
Aug 3: ???

Thanks to everyone for posting. You have no idea how much it helps to hear similar stories.
Please report out on how your doing.
:) Ana

NewDayDawning
on 8/3/09 4:44 am
Hi Ana...

I had RNY on 6/16/09... So far lost 30 pounds (in the first 4 weeks) and since then nothing.. almost 3 weeks now with no loss.. I have lost some inches, but no where near where I thought I would be at this point.

Working on trying to keep my chin up, head down and plowing forward... It's just hard when I wanted to see the numbers on the scale finally drop consistently..

My biggest fear would be that I would have to struggle for every pound this way too.. and so it goes.

Glad to see you are doing well!

Stephanie

Dr. Benn gave me an incredible tool.. and I intend to make the most out of it!!

annkate77
on 8/5/09 9:42 am
Hi Ana-
I had my surgery on June 4th, and I had a lot of complications too.  I had to have my gallbladder removed 3 weeks after my RNY(was in the hospital 2 weeks~!), and then was hospitalized again for abdominal pain and again for dehydration from diarrhea from the CT scan.  And right now, I am dealing with my first stall.  It is very frustrating.  But I gotta remember, I wasn't losing ANYTHING without the surgery, so a stall here and there I am going to have to handle!!  I am finally cleared to return to work, so the first day is next thursday, and I am nervous as heck! But I think it will be best for me to get into the routine of a normal day.  
As far as dumping, I think I have had some minor episodes, but I also think that I had some dumping syndrome prior to the surgery when I ate some things that did not agree with me.  It happened often when I ate out.  It doesn't exhaust me like it does for you.  Just gives me bad abdominal cramps and makes me rush to the bathroom.  I haven't been extremely adventurous with food, so we will see when the time comes if I get worse.
As for a slower loss, I hope that isn't true for you.  My doctor was saying that he wasn't expecting a "normal" loss for me because I have type 1 diabetes.  He was hoping for 100 pounds, which would have put me just under 200.  I wasn't satisfied with that, so I know I will do better.  Sometimes those doctors need to be convinced!!!!  
But hang in there.  It is nice to hear from people that had surgery so close to mine.  I still have pain, but that is related to the gallbladder surgery, unless I eat tooo much!
take care!
Thanks for reading!
AnnKate

1Sunshine4u
on 8/21/09 1:32 pm
Hello,
I had RNY on June 11th. So far, I have lost 52 pounds and I am happy about that.  There are days that the scale does not move, but I am not worried.  As long as I am not gaining, I am happy. I have not had as many problems since surgery as some have had. However, I had 5 surgeries in 1. It was about 8 weeks before I had any energy at all. I have just started to exercise like I should.  Every other day, I learn different foods that I cannot eat. I just start to feel really bad and get sleepy. I don't have pain. I too, am afraid that after I loose the weight, I will gain it back. Making me a failure. I guess this is normal for those of us who have battled weight for most of our lives. I still have problems getting in enough protein, vitamins, and liquids. Just hang in there and maybe we can just encourage each other!

One day at a time!
Most Active