June Surgeries - 9 month check in

NewDayDawning
on 3/4/10 3:11 am

Hello Everyone!

Thought I'd see who else is willing to check in here.  I will be 9 months out on the 16th and overall very pleased with my progress so far. 

I keep hearing "Slow and steady wins the race" and I continue to hope that is the case.

I never thought I would be 39 pounds away from my goal weight.  When I had the surgery at 282 - 117 pounds sounded like SO much to lose to get to goal and now I am so close.

I've kicked up the exercise big time and have even started trying classes at the gym which has been a kick in the pants!  Trying to really watch my carbs and having NO sugar right now to try to get my ass into ONEDERLAND for the first time in 25+ years. 

The other day I got into a size large dress and a size 14 dress and they fit and looked GOOD!  What a trip tnat was.  Still not in a 14 jean, but it will come soon

Last night I was doing yoga in shorts and realized it was NOT a pretty sight.  Quite mortifying actually.  My arms are horrendous and my thighs are disgusting with all the extra skin hanging - but I can at least cover it with clothing right?

It seems my hunger has come back at times and so I battle with that a bit.  It's hard to not want to snack, but I cleaned all the crap out of the house and that helps tremendously.  I reach for a glass of milk instead most times.

How are you all doing? Are you feeling good?  Looking GREAT?  Check in and let us know how you are doing...

All the best,
Stephanie

Dr. Benn gave me an incredible tool.. and I intend to make the most out of it!!

mmartel1
on 3/4/10 5:02 am

Hey Stephanie!

I had my surgery the day before yours on 6-15-09.  I did very well the first few months, but the last two I am loosing very slowly about 1-2 pounds per month.  I started at 278 and am down to 174 so I should be happy and I am but the slowing down worries me.  I am 14 pounds from goal - hopefully I can get there before the one year mark.

I am so glad that there is someone posting around the same time as my surgery it helps a lot to compare and get support from your surgery peers.

On another note, I have been having a blast buying new clothes (although I grow out of them too fast).  I am currently in a size 12-14 (started  at 24-26) and it is so nice to buy locally off the rack.

Keep up the good work and if you want to contact me direct go ahead and email.  We could support each other.

Roberta

NewDayDawning
on 3/4/10 5:33 am

Roberta,

That is AWESOME that you got within inches of your goal so quickly... I have to really try hard to not get discouraged because a lot of people take 1- 1 1/2 years to get there and sometimes longer.  The quality of my life right now is still SO much better than it was before.

Thank you for sharing your story.. It's nice to stay in touch..

Stephanie

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/10 10:11 pm
I had my RNY on June 3rd.  I was 243 and as of this morning I am 171.  I am in a size 12 bottoms but on top I am still xl or 16...I am very pleased with my progress - I want to firm up and have yet to start exercising - I am waiting for the nice weather and plan on walking, running, biking and swimming...

To have lost 72 pounds amazes me.- I hate my stomach - it is very flabby and I have been told i would need plastics to correct that which is NOT covered by insurance.  I have flabby arms (bat wings) and my upper thighs sag - thank god im married - I am somehow more insecure about my flabby body than I was about my firm fat - lol

I had to have surgery 4 weeks ago to have my xiphoid process removed.  the Xiphoid process is the bone under your sternum.  When I was fat, my stomach pushed the bone out till it curved.  When I lost the weight, I ended up with a large "lump" (i referred to it as a 3rd boob) - It was very bothersome - not painful but "uncomfortable".  I am healing nicely but my abdomin looks like world war 3 with all my different scars.

I feel great and still feel this was the best thing I have EVER done
briana000
on 3/8/10 1:26 am - Elon, NC
Hey Eveeryone!  I am checkin' in!  Surgery day was on 6/18/09  and I am down 119 lbs.  I was 318 lbs and now I am 199 lbs!

https://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wI4b3jB/">
https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wI4b3jB/weight.png">>

angie09
on 3/9/10 11:47 pm
Hello all my June friends.  I had surgery on June 30, 2009.  Started out at 361 (size 34 tight) and today I'm at 229 (size 18)  I have enjoyed my journey and love my decision to have this surgery.  I have done great still have quite a bit more to lose.  I can't wait to be under 200 lbs.  I am going to the beach in July so I hope I'm under 200 by then.  I'm just like everyone else my weight loss has slowed down tremendously but that is what I expected.  I am going to the gym regulary now and trying some of the classes that I am positive will kill me, atleast they feel that way.  I feel so good going to the gym and working on my progress.  Excess skin is a major problem, my whole body has a tremendous amount of extra skin but with clothes on I am looking alot better.  I just can't thank God enough for giving me this opportunity.  Glad everyone is doing good.
Angie

So Thankful!!!    
eeking
on 3/10/10 2:08 am - Watertown, NY
I had surgery on 6/4/09 and it has been an exciting nine months. I started at 305 and this morning was 191. I am wearing a size 14 bottoms and large tops and it is awesome. I am 5'8 and really only want to drop one more size and fit into 12's comfortably. I love my RNY.. life is great and am so active and enjoying keeping up my little ones. I have been very faithful about exercise. am actually enjoying it. I have loose skin on my tummy and my boobs are sad little girls! :))) My arms legs are not bad. Will consider a tummy tuck and boob lift at some point.. got to get the funds together for that!
Hugs,
Erin
NewDayDawning
on 3/10/10 11:46 pm

Wow look at you all go!  2/3 of you are in the 170's already... Kinda makes me wonder what I'm doing WRONG.. Ugh

I'm so happy for the rest of you though!   WAY TO GO GIRLS!

logansmoose
on 3/13/10 1:22 am
I had my surgery on June 16th.  I had the VSG.  All is going well.  I haven't been the best at getting in my protein and I feel like I have been bad lately with eating, but I can't eat much.

I started at 235ish.  I think I may have had a high weight of 240.  The other day I was 154.  I don't really weigh myself as much as I should.  I suppose I keep fearing I will gain.  

I think I was wearing an 18 before surgery, but I really only bought stretchy clothes so I may have been bigger.  I think I am at the point where I need to move out of my size 10's.  I have been hitting the thrift stores a lot for clothes.  It took just one trip to J Jill to buy clothes that I didn't fit in the next month to convince me to stop buying retail.  I am sitting here in like new Talbots Jeans and a Brooks Brother cashmere cardigan that I probably paid $5 total.  I had never had luck in thrift stores when I wore larger sizes, but I have gotten fabulous stuff not that I wear more average sizes.  I don't figure I will get much smaller, so I suppose I could start investing a bit more into clothing from retail stores.

One thing I have been terrible with since my surgery is exercise.  I had the surgery in the beginning of the summer and had the three boys home all summer.  I was a lot more tired for the first month or two than I thought I would be.  My kids are small so they sucked out any energy for exercise.  I have started exercising.  I have been hitting the treadmill and actually got outside for a short run today.  I made it a mile without stopping and probably could have gone another mile if I had time.  Last year at this time there is no way I could have done it.  I am going to start running 5ks and 10ks just to motivate me to run consistently.  

I suppose I would love to get to losing 100 pounds.  I am 21 pounds away from it.  The follow up doc I saw just told me the sleeve only works for 9 months for weight loss.  I definitely can eat more, but I can't eat enough to get me in trouble.  It will only be my food choices holding me back.  I am going to try to put more fruit and veggies in my diet  and exercise more.  Although I have the sleeve I think I am on my own now.  

Overall my experience was great.  I hated the pre-op diet and the first few weeks afterwards.  I feel so much better and lighter on my feet.  I haven't been this weight since I got married and even then I dieted down to that weight.

Glad to see so many people with so much success!

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/wae1UPw/weight.png  
jarnio77
on 3/14/10 7:49 am - Clarksville, TN
Hi everyone,

I haven't really posted here since my surgery but I want to reconnect with others.  I had sleeve on June 1st when I was 211 and now I am down to 126.  I have lost 85lbs... I am running and doing P90X and couldn't be happier but I am getting hungry:(  I hate that... anyone have tips?  I run and workout so much I have to eat... I try to load up on cheese.. myoplex drinks... high protein yogurt... cheese..  Any advice would be great:)

Great job everyone!

Jessica
Most Active