Why the Pre-Op Diets are Important and how they work...

Tammy G.
on 5/27/11 7:29 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 The purpose of a pre-surgery diet is to:
  • Reduce body fat around the stomach and liver, as well as shrink the liver itself. If the liver is too large, the surgery may have to be postponed.
  • Improve surgical outcomes and recovery. By reducing fatty triglycerides from around the liver and spleen, it can reduce potential surgical bleeding.
  • Increase protein intake, which will help preserve and protect muscle tissue.

Some surgeons mandate a very restricted diet - one that is low in fat, sugar and carbohydrates and high in protein - for one to two weeks prior to surgery and even if your surgeon doesn't ask you to follow this diet, doing so will increase your chances of your operation being completed laparoscopically because it will shrink your liver down in size.

By following a strict diet, your body reduces its glycogen stores (glycogen is a form of sugar stored in the liver and muscles for energy). With each ounce of glycogen, the body stores 3–4 ounces of water, so when you follow a very strict diet, especially one that is low in starch and sugar, your body loses its glycogen stores and some water. The liver shrinks as it has less glycogen and water in it. This diet is only recommended for one to two weeks before surgery and is not to be followed post–operatively. It is quite possible you lose a lot of weight that week, but it will be mainly be water loss. Please ensure you continue to drink throughout the day.

Non-Carb foods-
Meat, poultry, fish, pork
Nuts
Cheese
Cottage Cheese
Eggs
Peanut Butter
Vegetables (not starchy)
Sugar Free Jello, popsicles, etc.

Carbohydrates that are approx 15 grams each (only 2 servings a day)
Whole grain bread- 1 slice
Cereal- 1/2 cup
Pasta 1/2 cup
Rice 1/3 cup
Beans 1/2 cup
Starchy Veg 1/2 cup
Fruit 1 med raw, 1/2 cup canned, no added sugar
Juice 1/2 cup
Milk 1 cup
Yogurt 1 cup

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/27/11 9:44 pm
Good info!  There is someone on the RNY forum who went in for surgery last week and the surgeon said the liver was too large and closer her back up and would not do the surgery until she loses more weight.

Winnie

Diana C.
on 5/31/11 7:42 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 06/28/11 with
Thanks for sharing!
mlyssa971
on 6/5/11 11:16 am
My dr had an ultrasound of my liver gall bladder and lung on the right side. Im following my diet go to preop at the dr and hospital on the 14th just 6 days out. I pray nothing like this happens I dont know that I could take that kind of blow. I am eating lots of broccoli, cauliflower, chicken and tuna grilled zucchini, asparagus and grilled green beans. lots of water and protein shakes. Mine are really thick like a milkshake. I use 4 oz water 2 scoops of protein. I hope thats right!
Most Active