Traveling for Surgery

Tammy G.
on 5/27/11 7:49 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 For several reasons, including, but not limited to, the quality of surgeon and hospital, I am traveling to have my RNY.  It is about a 7 hour drive and my surgeon has asked me to stay in Austin for 2 weeks after surgery.  Of course this is daunting and going to be a hardship, but there is no other solution.

To try to be as comfortable as possible we have booked a hotel that was an apartment complex.  It is rated 3 stars, is a one bedroom with a complete kitchen (including dishes and pots and pans), a comfy living room (with a fold out sofa bed), and a large bedroom with 2 full size beds (I don't want to share after surgery!)  It has wifi and cable, of course, so I won't be out of touch.  The cost wasn't as bad as I expected--we got a great deal.  There is a good grocery store right down the street, so I won't have to lug post-op supplies to Austin.  

I have family in Austin, and was hoping to stay with them, but things just didn't work out that way.  My fear is that I will have to stay alone a lot of the 2 weeks.  One of my daughters says she is going to be there the whole time, but she can be flighty, so I am apprehensive.  My partner is going to take me, be there until after surgery, but he can only stay a few days because he has to work.  My parents plan to come there the last couple of days I am there and bring me home.

What kinds of things should I take to make myself feel more at home?  I know the regular travel stuff/hygeine and my laptop and Nook, my pillows and blanket, but any ideas what else?

I want to take my dogs, and although pets are allowed where we are staying, I just don't know if I will feel like dealing with them.  They have never been away from me more than 3 days in their whole lives.  I'm not so worried about my chihuahua, she's pretty adaptive, but my pom has mental problems and last time I was gone for my pre-op visits she didn't eat or sleep the whole time I was gone.  She cried constantly for me and was aggressive towards my daughter and grandson.  She was from a puppy mill (rescue) and very inbred.  I've had her since she was 8 months old and she's 5 now.  It would really complicate things to take them, but I just can't bear being without them after I get out of the hospital.  Plus walking them would be an incentive to get outside and walk in the beautiful parks in Austin.  I don't know if my nephew would keep them while I am in the hospital.

I am just so tired of worrying, of playing stuff out in my brain.  
maggiet
on 5/27/11 11:28 am - Durham, NC
I'd take the dogs or dog if possible. Youare right it will get you moving and there is nothing like unconditional doggy love. If tings get too complicated right after, your partner could take them back with him when he goes home. But that is just me. I know I'd feel all alone. On the other hand, it might be stressful for the dogs to be in a place that isn't home. Still, I'd lean toward taking them. But you are the only one who can weigh the costs and benefits for you doggies and for you. I wish you luck and wisdom in your decision making.
Maggie

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/27/11 9:51 pm
Nook is good so you can read.  I would think you will be doing lots of resting (healing) and walking.  Make sure you have a good pair of walking shoes.  Are you getting a binder in the hospital.  We get one at my hospital.  I heard it helps when getting up from a chair so you don't strain you abs so much.  If you don't get one in the hospital you may want to buy one.

I would say a good map or book on Austin so you can get to places where you can walk,  parks, zoo, malls, historical sites.

I agree about leaving the dogs. You don't want to have to worry about taking care of them.

Winnie

mlyssa971
on 5/30/11 11:25 am
 Dogs are very intuitive tho. Taking them may not be a bad idea especially since one may not eat for 2 weeks while you are gone. If they are crate trained take a crate incase they get too rowdy. or something you can leash them away from you if needed. If I were going to be away from home I would want my laptop. (I am addicted) but if all else failed I would have my andriod to get online with. IDK if a nook has that capabilities. I am a tech support rep for a ISP I should know that huh? Anyway best of luck to you. I hope all goes week and you and your doggies are fine. 
Tammy G.
on 5/31/11 9:01 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 I still haven't decided on the dogs.  I am increasingly nervous as the time gets closer!
mlyssa971
on 5/31/11 9:19 am
I'll be praying for you. The decision in the end is up to you. On top of the surgery you have a lot of other things to worry about. God Bless and Keep you!
Most Active