How do you get enough water in while waiting an hour before and after meals???

Karen D.
on 6/22/09 8:37 am
I have calculated the whole water food thing.  My Dr told me I had to drink 100 oz and not drink and hour before or after dinner....so this is what I figured:

So lets say you wake up at 6:30 a.m. and begin sipping until 7:00. a.m.  ..water...WAIT AN HOUR:

8:00 Breakfast 8:30  (Remember chew 25 times)

9:30 Sipping water  10:00 (1/2 Hr) WAIT AN HOUR
11:00 Mid Morning snack 11:30 WAIT AN HOUR

12:30 Sipping water-1:00 (1/2 Hr) WAIT AN HOUR
  2:00 Lunch 2:30 WAIT AN HOUR

3:30 Sipping water-4:00 (1 /2Hr) WAIT AN HOUR
  5:00 Mid Afternoon snack-5:30 WAIT AN HOUR

6:30 Sipping 7:00 (1/2 Hr) WAIT AN HOUR
  8:00 Dinner-8:30 WAIT AN HOUR
  9:30 Sipping water 10:00 (1/2 Hr) WAIT AN HOUR
 11:00  Late Evening Snack (Isn't this too late??) 11:30   HUH
12:30 Sipping water 1:00 again (1/2 Hr) REALLY NOW...

No Wonder no one can do this and how can you get 100 oz of water in a 2 1/2 period of time between meals.  I was told that most fair well with 6 small meals, so what are your thoufghts about the above breakdown.  Tell me its possible!

KAREN

mike460
on 6/22/09 8:43 pm - freeport, IL
RNY on 07/27/09 with
All doctors are different mine said to sip all i could but had to get 64 oz in a day if possable and that i probly wouldnt get that much in at first. and to eat 3 meals in a day and two to three snacks. and to wait bettween 1/2 hor to 1 hour before eating and the same after but like i said he told me i probly cant get that much in right away later liquids will go down easy. so we will see and do our best right?

Michael A Thruman Sr

Erin B.
on 6/22/09 10:06 pm

Hi Karen!!! I'm going to post some of my reply to you on here, in case others need the info.

My nutritionist told us to not think in terms of meals until we are closer to the end of the puree stage. It is so difficult to get in the proper amounts of calories and proteins that you need to be consuming some kind of calories constantly. When you are closer to the end of the puree stage, and beginning transition foods, then start moving to more of a meal / snack mentality. If you think about it it makes sense, we are going to be only consuming liquids, so you can't use the no liquids during meals rule then.

One more interesting thing I wanted to say was that he cautioned us to be careful when first post op and drinking plain water. Plain water has alot of surface tension, it can sometimes cause pain because the pouch and outlet is so swollen it can interfere with it draining from the pouch. He said to lean more towards crystal light or diluted no sugar added juices.

Erin

Karen D.
on 6/22/09 10:28 pm
You have some great sayings....

KAREN

KristeMitchell
on 6/23/09 3:15 am
That totally makes sense.  I think I had read something like that too. Melting Mama posted these Pouch Rules on her blog.  It talks abou****er loading and all sorts of things, but that is after the initial months of healing.  That made me feel good.  I am a big sipper during meals so it gives me time to transition out of that habit.  Here is the link!

http://www.meltingmama.net/wls/pouch-rules-for-dummies.html

Celia B.
on 6/26/09 4:39 am
I had a nutrition class with my dr. last week, and what he recommends is that you need 64 oz of water a day (in addition to any protein shakes as meals).  No drinking for 15 minutes before a meal, no drinking for 30 to 45 minutes after the meal.  So that cuts down the "waiting" time and the volume.  And he includes flavored water as water, so it's easier to keep sipping if it tastes good - splash of lemon, crystal lite, decaf tea.  Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 845 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 713 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 957 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1047 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1075 views