Why was your surgery delayed?

luanne711
on 6/26/09 9:18 am - Bradford, PA
I've read a few places where people's surgeries had been scheduled and then delayed.  I'm curious to know if these were personal choices or ??  I suspect that if your surgery is confirmed by your insurance company, then that shouldn't be an issue unless you lose your health insurance.

Just curious to know what things might delay.

Luanne
PoohkinandPiglet
on 6/27/09 2:25 am, edited 6/27/09 11:40 am - TX
Some surgeries get delayed if the patient gets sick with cold or flu, persistent cough, fever or skin breakdown.   

I've also heard of pre-op bloodwork coming back with something off--- blood cell counts, clotting factors, etc.... anything that would make the surgery more risky. 

I"m sure there are other reasons but these are the most common ones I've heard of.

luanne711
on 6/28/09 2:16 pm - Bradford, PA

thank you.   I had heard about personal health setbacks being a possibility, esp. sickness in general.

chichiruka
on 6/29/09 10:44 am - CA
VSG on 03/26/14
Skin breakdown??? What do you mean??
 OMG - my date is 7/27 and i have been w/ hives since I got my date, actually.  My nerves have got the best of me.  Now it's just itch/scratchy phase, but what if it affects my date???

"Don't listen to those poopoo heads!" 

"Someday I'll be a beautiful butterfly and everything will be better!"  - Heimlich ~ Bug's Life  

PoohkinandPiglet
on 6/29/09 11:31 am - TX
I think skin breakdown means open sores like "bed sores" or lesions.  It's a concern because bacteria could spread inside you during surgery. 

I doubt hives are something to be concerned about.  You doctor can probably give you something to make them go away.  Are you taking antihistimines?

Sharon
KristeMitchell
on 6/30/09 4:56 pm
I got a cold last week and I still have a cough.  I went to the drs today and was told that there is no infection.  She said if i am not better by Thursday to call and she would give me a perscription.  I am paranoid about being rescheduled. Ahhhhh!!! This cough better go!!!! I'm going to go take a steamy shower! And get some sleep! And take Vitamin c! And take some Tussin! And pray! And send positive thoughts to my lungs...OM! He he he!!!

luanne711
on 7/1/09 12:14 am - Bradford, PA
and it's those summer colds which are sometimes the worst.  I suppose nervousness and stress aren't going to be very helpful either.  I guess I just need to breathe deep and try not to focus on it.  Avoid stress.  I wonder if the Dr. is OK w/extra Vitamin C prior to surgery?  My mom preaches echinacea (sp?) for colds, but I believe I read someplace that that is a big no-no for WLS patients.  Guess I'll ask him on the 9th  :-)
jberry1417
on 7/3/09 12:21 pm - Carrollton, GA

On 06/23, the day before my WLS, it was found that I had a very bad Urinay Tract Infection.  I had no idea that I even had one.  The doctor instantly said, "NO SURGERY"!  Needless to say, my world crumbled down around me.  We had come from out of state and luckily we had not checked into the hotel yet.  So, we drove back home that day and it was rescheduled for 07/13.  Wish me luck and I wish all of you good luck!

Jackie

luanne711
on 7/3/09 6:14 pm - Bradford, PA
wow - and you had no pain?  Interesting.  Thank you for sharing,.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 829 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 706 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 943 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1032 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1060 views