Why don't you just follow the rules (especially at the beginning)

SharonZ
on 11/13/08 12:39 am
I get REALLY pissed of reading posts sometimes.  Why on earth would you try to eat mac and cheese.  My surgeon and common sense says no pasta, bread, rice or tortillas for 6 months.  

I am just over 2 weeks post op for RNY.  I have lost about 15#.  I still think about pasta and my favorite, cookies, but I am not about to eat them.  I went through too much.  Research also shows that people are most successful when you follow the rules from the beginning and go to support groups.

This surgery is a gift.  Why play with fire.

I read these posts to get support.  Telling me you are breaking the rules and that is the only time you have had problems doesn't help anyone and should be a lesson to you.

I don't know about anyone else, but I went through a lot to get approval for the surgery, spent 3 days in the hospital and weeks off of work.  

DON'T BREAK THE RULES.

SimplyBeing Me
on 11/13/08 1:43 am - Adirondacks, NY

well I tried mac/cheese because that was one of the items on the list of foods that I can/could try at 3 weeks post op from my surgeon.  I believe that each surgeon must have their own type of foods that are allowed, and aren't allowed.  I have followed this 3 page can and can't have list to the letter.
I am on 3 wks of post-op and have lost 23 lbs...

I spent 3 days in the hospital also, and was back to work within 2 wks ,,, with surgeon approval.

astrong1
on 11/13/08 10:20 pm - Charlotte, NC
I had RNY 10/10/08 and pasta is on my list of soft foods. I lost 19lbs. before surgery and 19lbs since. I think you will find different Dr.'s have list that differ from one another. Follow your surgeons directions and I will follow mine (without accusing people of not following the rules).
Good luck on your journey, everyones path is different.
ASTRONG1   "WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OUTWEIGHS THE LOVE OF POWER, PEACE WILL BE PROBABLE"      
aprueitt
on 11/14/08 1:00 am
I had RNY 10/20 and pasta is also on my list.  I want to try it but I'm terrified because of the stories I've read on here from other people trying it, so I think I'm going to wait.  I'm 3 weeks post op and have lost 30 pounds. 

Has anyone progressed to other foods without dr release?  I'm handling any and all soft foods well, I'm ready for something more.
SimplyBeing Me
on 11/14/08 9:31 am - Adirondacks, NY
I can honestly say that the only foods I have progressed to are soft cooked vegtables.. like green beans, spaghetti squash, ect.. they don't seem to wiegh so heavy in my pouch and leave me satisfied.

I wish you the best of luck.. just remember when your trying something new to eat, cut it up into small bites, and chew it very very well... no talking while eating, and no drinking during eating.

Good Luck  :)

laura
Ken Currin
on 11/14/08 10:21 am - South Hill, VA
Noodles and Mac & Cheese are on my list also. I haven't broke the rules yet and don't plan to. Although I cannot get in 60gms of protein or 64oz of water.
aprueitt
on 11/14/08 10:58 pm
I can't seem to get in the protein or water either!

Last week I got the Alpine Punch Isopure Protein mix.  It's 50 g for 2 scoops.  It mixes with 12 oz of water and it's not great, but I add a packet of Crystal Light to it and it's much easier to drink.  So I've been doing better with the protein the past few days.  I don't like ANY of the milk based protein drinks.  They taste so horrible.
SimplyBeing Me
on 11/15/08 4:44 am - Adirondacks, NY
i have a very hard time trying to get in the liquids and protien myself.  Has anyone heard of a protien pill?? something like a vitamin?? I wish they had that on the market, it sure would be a heck of alot easier.  :)
brinklaw
on 11/16/08 4:53 am - Pahoa, HI
 My surgeon doesn't recommend pasta at any stage - guess the guideline differ quite a bit.

I'm having trouble getting the protein in, too. I bought some great-testing protein shake mix from Med-Diet, but it gives me bowel problems, so I stopped using it, at least for now.

My saving grace is LiquaCell. It's a grape-flavored high protein syrup that you dilute in water. One oz gives you 16 g of protein, so I do that twice during the day, along with some bean soup for lunch. I still can't quite get to 55 g yet, though. 

I buy the LiquaCell at my doctor's office, but I think it's also available online.

Marcy Brinkley
David Ober
on 2/3/09 10:22 pm - Riverside, CA
You people that get all mad at others for "breaking the rules" crack me up. What you don't seem to realize is that just about every person on these forums has a different list of "rules," because we all have different doctors!

For instance, mashed potatoes were part of my "mushies" diet. For others they are a complete no-no.

So, in the future, before you criticize others for "breaking the rules," understand that your rules are not everyone's rules.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Old habits die hard
vb2305 · 1 replies · 1291 views
Off Track
barigal1 · 0 replies · 1252 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 914 views