dietary class complaints

nrskris10
on 10/21/03 10:12 am - Marshfield, MO
I had my Dietary class last week and I was greatly dissappointed. The registered dietician was such a grouch. THere were only three of us in there. We of course had tons of questions. (I would be worried if a pre op DIDN"T have questions!!!) she kept getting ticked off about it. I said "are we really making you MAD?" she said, "well, you are asking too many questions and being too complicated" Well, HELLOOOOO this is a MAJOR surgery and there will be MAJOR chagnes to the way I eat from now on and I would like to know this stuff! she also says dont worry about askign all these wuestions right now, because she will be there for a visit while we are in the hospital. We can ask her more questions then. Well, by the way lady, I will be under the influnce of MORPHINE, so I wouldnt trust my memory at that time! I just sat quietly during the rest of her blabbing. She basically read straight form the booklet. We could have took that home and read it ourselves and saved time. There was a second speaker who was friendlier, but we were all just so beat down from lady #1. I have put a call in to the surgeon and I am waiting for him to call me back. I am so nervous. But I have to remember that this woman is doing a DISSERVICE to his NAME as a surgeon. Please tell me I am doing the right thing. I don't want him to think of me as a PROBLEM PATIENT! But this is serious. And get this, the most confused lady in our class was scheduled for surgery MONDAY. the class was on Friday! Thank God I have this site to learn so much from or I would be cluless.
Joanne M.
on 10/21/03 12:13 pm - Millbrook, AL
I think you did the right thing. Do not worry about being a troublemaker. My consult went very well but to tell you the truth I wish I was having it now....two weeks prior to surgery instead of 7 weeks ago, that way I would remember more and probably have more questions to ask. This site is really great. I have learned so much from others and also feel their support. Good luck. Joanne
April S.
on 10/22/03 8:38 am - Toledo, OH
Unfreakingbelievable. I don't know how you could sit through that... And seriously, how are you supposed to think clearly and retain this vital information while in pain and/or doped up? Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to call your surgeon over this. And if your genuine concerns regarding this end up labeling you a "problem patient", then something is wrong within that practice. My nutritionist encouraged me to ask any question I could come up with, no matter how insane. She also gave me a ton of information in paper form and I'll meet with her several times over the next year and then once yearly for the rest of my life. She gave me her direct line to call her whenever I had a question. I would have wanted to slap that lady. Guess it's the lack of nicotine in me. Unreal.
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 Years
Steve L. · 0 replies · 622 views
Would you do it again?
Jersey917 · 2 replies · 708 views