I have lost 104 pounds (d...

garywill
on 1/15/06 10:05 am - Sun Valley, NV
I have lost 104 pounds (down from 121). I am scheduled for a abdominoplasty and lower body lift on February 9th. A couple of days ago I found out I had a hernia. Just a small one under my incision but hopefully this will get some of the costs covered as BlueCross has denied my twice as cosmetic even though I have submitted letters from 4 doctors stating it is medically necessary and not cosmetic. I haven't had any problems in the last 2 years other than I found out I can eat anything even sweets and sugars. The only thing I have some problems with is white bread. I would like to hear from those who have had a abdomonoplasty to know what to expect. A coworker told me it would be a good idea to rent a lift chair for a month afterwards. Our bed is high and our sofa is not comfortable do I could use that until I heal a little. Can you expect to be up to doing some walking right away? Doctor says I should be off work for 2 weeks and then 1 month with little or no lifting. Thanks in advance for any help.
Dawn
on 1/16/06 8:05 am - Salem, IL
I had a mini tuck. I went back to work in two weeks and had no problems. You will have to refrain from standing straight up for a couple weeks and sitting actually feels better then laying down for a while. I actually slept on my couch for some time afterwards. I did not need a lift chair or anything else. I can tell you that it was quite painful for a couple days after my surgery. I actually had an easier time getting into my bed because it is really high. If your couch is not comfortable I might suggest buying one of those pillows made for sitting up in bed. You may feel better sleeping while sitting up.
~~Angel~~
on 1/24/06 2:52 am - Buffalo, NY
I had a total abdominoplasty which was totally covered by my insurance. They also covered an upper blepharoplasty at the same time. I slept in my recliner for about two to three weeks. I was off an additional 5 days because I had a minor complication [the drains didn't want to work and she wanted to make sure the stuff wasn't going to explode oiut]. I was pissed off because I felt great and was ready to go to work. You will have to walk bent over for the first four or five days, depending on your surgeon. For me, that was the worse part. I freakin HATED that. I was not in pain like I expected to be, though. Good luck and God bless!
garywill
on 11/26/13 6:54 am - Sun Valley, NV

Updating my post of 1-15-2006 - Yesterday was my 10 years.  Mostly everything has been good except I had a hernia repaired and also my gallbladder removed in 2011.  I heard some docs remove it during the surgery - mine didn;t.  Had major complications from the gallbladder but it was new surgeon's fault.  He nicked my lung and my bile duct.  Had to go to ER and had 2 admissions of 3 and 6 days before they found out what the problem.  My weight had gone down to 151 and had a hard time gaining it back.   I am now 171 but would like to be 175-180.  The problems were not because of the RNY.  I can't eat a large meal.  I usually eat half and finish in about 15 minutes.  Other than the problem in 2011 it has been a good 10 years.  I probably would be dead now if I hadn't done this. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
7 Years
Steve L. · 0 replies · 620 views
Would you do it again?
Jersey917 · 2 replies · 707 views