OHIP Process

gdgtgrl
on 11/1/08 5:19 am - Londpn, Canada
Hello:  I've just received the approval for the wls consultation with Dr Wood in Detroit.  My bmi ranges from 39.8 - 42 depending on the # I plug in (I'm 5.2 and 3/4 and 225-230 lbs).  I'm not sure if I'll be approved since I'm hovering.  I don't have diabeties (although I'm glucose intolerent and have a family history of it), and don't think I have sleep apnea.

My question is: how difficult is it to get approved if you're Canadian? and how long does it take once approved for the surgery

GDGTGRL - JENIFER
London, ON, Canada

sheri139
on 11/1/08 5:35 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 11/05/08 with
Have you already sent in your Out of Country application to OHIP?
Once mine was in it took about 10 days to get my Puralator letter.
My consult was Sept 5 and surgery is this Wed. Nov 5.  Yeah.
Go over to the Ontario forum and post questions there as well, they are a great bunch.
Sheri
RNY ohcardsmallsheri.gif picture by lynnca1972 Nov 5, 2008
16 pounds lost pre surgery    
gdgtgrl
on 11/1/08 10:56 pm - Londpn, Canada
wow: that fast - I received my letter approving the consult this week.  That's fast!

GDGTGRL - JENIFER
London, ON, Canada

Darlene E.
on 11/2/08 1:04 am - Harrow, Canada
Getting approved by your surgeon and by OHIP are definitely different.
You need to get the Out of Country Pre-approval form, fill it out, and bring it to your Ontario doctor to sign. You may be required to  have a sleep study and other testing to satisfy your doctor and OHIP.  What is required by OHIP is immanent death or tissue damage.  Although you may not have any other medical issues, your family history will play a part in it.   I'm not sure what the BMI requirement is (for OHIP) Some say 40 some say 50, but I do believe it's 100lbs overweight at least.

After my testing, my doctor signed the papers and I got my approval my courier withing 3 weeks. My surgery was 2 months from getting the letter.

Good luck.

SINCE MY RNY NOVEMBER 10 2008

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Food Diary

gdgtgrl
on 11/2/08 1:16 am - Londpn, Canada
That's good information - I haven't had a sleep study yet, I'll talk to my pcp.  My family background is not obesity, but diabeties is prevalent and I am glucose intollerant right now. Both my father and grandmorther were diabetic & because I'm part aborignal (1/4) that may play a part in it as well.  I've sent in the pre approval form, but it came back as needing more information, so I'll work on all of that.

GDGTGRL - JENIFER
London, ON, Canada

Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 801 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 764 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1048 views
Losing Control
BooBoo139 · 0 replies · 2009 views