I wish I had done more research

terrydade
on 1/1/10 2:24 am - Rockford, IL
Hi, everyone!

Happy New Year! It's been a really long time since I've posted. I decided to look for my old OH pals and see how everyone is doing.

I've been really discouraged lately. I got down to 15 lbs from my goal 4 years ago. Since then, the weight has been slowly coming back. I know my stoma and pouch have both stretched, but I've also gone back to the old eating habits. You know...eyes bigger than my pouch, have to finish everything on my plate, eating junk carbs, not getting in enough protein...

Anyway, I suddenly  (within 2 months) gained another 20 pounds. A couple of different reasons, mostly lack of exercise due to a broken hip. I'm also on two medications that are known to cause weight gain.

But in reading stories from my 5 year peers, I find that I am not the only one who has put weight back on. In fact, if I had done more research before I had this surgery, I would have found out about the statistics for post-op weight gain, the lap banding after RNY, the lapsing back into old eating habits.

Would it have made a difference if I'd known this? Probably not, because let's face it, we didn't want to hear about the failures, and I sure don't remember anyone at Barix giving me those statistics. The malabsorption, diarrhea, osteoporosis. I suffer from all of these now.

Check out this link, I wish I had known about this 5 years ago.
http://obesitysurgery-info.com/chrissie.htm

Terry
12/27/2004
kristenlep
on 1/5/10 1:59 am - Hudson, NH
Sadly and rather pathetically I am fat again.  Well, I never did become normal sized but I felt like I could exist as a normal ish person until this past year.  Remarkably and much to my chagrin, I have gained back every ounce of flesh.
This is really upsetting to finally come to this realization.  I feel like I've had my head in the sands of denial for far too long.

Are you saying people have a lap band after they have RNY?  I did not know this.  I think my doc would cut off her arm before she allowed THAT to happen.    I recall it being such a struggle to get her to agree to the surgery in the first place.
She was successful on Weigh****chers so she couldn't understand why I could not be.

Anyway, I have not seen her since.  It's nuts. 

I have not been to a bariatric doc since the first post-op appointment.  My gyno has been doing all of my physicals.  I was sick once and saw an ARNP at my regular doc's office.

Anyway, I ramble.  It took me months to find this site again, believe it or not.

My plan now is to start the 5 day pouch test and see how that makes me feel.  I need to do something here.

Kristen
12/28/04
lil_firestorm
on 3/27/10 2:12 pm - Spring, TX
 Hi!

I'm one of those that never got skinny that first year...and here I am over 5 years out and still fighting to lose weight.  But boy can I gain it and FAST!  I can drop it again almost as fast but it takes major effort on my part.  I gained 50lbs back and thankfully, have lost it again.  But the girl that swore she would never see 200+ on the scale again...DID!

I refuse to give up though...I've been through too much, spent too much money and come to far to give up now.

Jen

Most Active
Recent Topics
310lbs GONE<<<GONE GONE
rron999 · 1 replies · 872 views
Anybody still checking in here?
Loni* · 13 replies · 1851 views
Revision 1/13/2011
kellyt · 2 replies · 865 views
Not doing so well
CuteDonna · 6 replies · 1069 views