Open Gastric Bypass Recovery Time

Kimberley Y.
on 11/11/04 3:21 am - Texas City, TX
Does anyone know the usual or common recovery time for open RYN? I have just requested four weeks off from work. Is that enough for an open gastric bypass procedure? I am quite anxious right now about my surgery and I am getting nervous too. My date is on Dec. 13th so I am trying to learn all I can right now. And eat some of my favorite foods as well but learn to change my mental mind before surgery.
monitortech
on 11/11/04 9:27 am - Cheyenne, WY
Each person is different, but my husband had his surgery on Sept. 9th, was back in school on the 20th and back to work on the 22nd. He is a truck driver. He also had the open procedure, and things went great. Hope all goes well for you.
Patricia Tate
on 11/13/04 6:19 am - Athens, GA
Hi Kimberley, I agree that everyone is different and has their own rate of progress at healing. Mostly, I believe it has to do with your age, and your state of health prior to surgery. My surgeon's nurse told me, as soon as my date was scheduled to begin immediately on a low fat, low carb, high protein diet so as to lose enough weight to soften the liver which makes the area easier for the surgeon to access, and helps decrease the level of pain afterward as well. I do not know if this also applies to "open," as I am having the laparoscopy procedure. She also told me that protein intake is vitally important to help the body immediately begin to heal after the surgery, and decrease the recovery time. I am praying that all goes well for you. I know you are going to be just fine, and will come through with flying colors! God bless you! Pat
Most Active
Recent Topics
310lbs GONE<<<GONE GONE
rron999 · 1 replies · 878 views
Anybody still checking in here?
Loni* · 13 replies · 1853 views
Revision 1/13/2011
kellyt · 2 replies · 869 views
Not doing so well
CuteDonna · 6 replies · 1072 views