Question

erotomaniac
on 11/19/04 8:36 am - Livingston, NJ
My surgery date is the 6th and I have to lose at least 9 lbs by then. Any suggestions?
Dec16-04
on 11/19/04 9:27 am - Port Saint Lucie, FL
Hi- My date is Dec 17...My surgeon gives us a diet- lean meat and green veggies, basically -to eat for 3 weeks prior to surgery. This is to reduce the fat infiltration in the liver and it reduces the liver enlargement. No fats at all..No carbs either. You will have a better outcome. Does your dr not give any guidance at all on this? I hope you are having it done laproscopically. Best wishes
Patricia Tate
on 11/19/04 9:11 pm - Athens, GA
Jaclyln, my surgeon put the same stipulation on me...to lose 10 pounds before the surgery date. I was told to stay on a low fat, low carb, high protein diet, and to keep it liquid as much as possible (i.e. soups, broths). I decided to stock up on the tuna fish snack packs that have packets of low calorie mayo, relish, and crackers included. I eat those for lunch and dinner, or sometimes switch out with chicken noodle soup with chicken broth added instead of water. Advant-Edge protein drinks in between meals are good, and help ward off the hunger. Lots and lots of water helps, too. I try to drink water just about every time I think of it, and strive for at least 64 oz. a day. I refuse to weigh every day, as I know I would be frustrated if I am losing too slowly, so I am just weighing once a week. I think I am going to make it, I can tell by the "feel" that some pounds are no longer there. God bless you! Pat
erotomaniac
on 11/20/04 4:15 am - Livingston, NJ
To Carolyn: No, my doc gave me no guidance on this Pat: Thanks, I will definitely try that... I'm just wondering how long you've been doing it, how long you have to lose the ten lbs... I feel like I have no time, yknow? Ahhhh.
erotomaniac
on 11/20/04 4:16 am - Livingston, NJ
To Carolyn: No, my doc gave me no guidance on this Pat: Thanks, I will definitely try that... I'm just wondering how long you've been doing it, how long you have to lose the ten lbs... I feel like I have no time, yknow? Ahhhh.
Patricia Tate
on 11/20/04 4:44 am - Athens, GA
Hi again, Jaclyn, Originally, my surgery date was Tuesday, November 16th. They postponed it at almost the last minute (on the 11th****il December 7th. On November 5th, I had a consultation with my surgeon mainly to have many questions answered that were bothering me. It was at this time that they weighed me, and he said I needed to lose at least 10 pounds before my surgery date. At the time, that only gave me a little less that two weeks to do so, so I was desperate! He told me to keep my diet as liquid as possible, low fat, low carbs, high protein. It is really difficult to stick to entirely liquids...we will be doing enough of that post-op, I think. I knew that tuna fish was rather high in protein, but I also knew that if I stocked up on cans, and fixed a large amount, the two hungry men in my house would eat it up from me! So, I decided to stock up on the snack packs and DARE them to touch it! I had just about lost the required 10 pounds when they called me and told me they were postponing the surgery by three weeks. Of course, I was devastated after working that hard on the diet...but after I realized it was probably for a divine reason, I decided to stay on it just to see how much I could lose. I now have 17 more days until "the" day. I am sure that the pre-op stuff I have to drink the day prior to surgery will also help. LOTS and LOTS of water will be necessary as well. I have noticed that some days when I just do not feel like doing the "water bit" that it feels like I am at a standstill. I have never understood why water makes the weight fall off, but it seems to do just that. I know you can do it! Please feel free to email me any time as we both approach our dates...and we can encourage each other, OK? Just be sure to eat NOTHING that contains more than a gram or two of fat, and a gram or two of carbohydrates, and as much protein as you can get in. The protein will help you to heal quickly afterward. Oh...and don't weigh everyday, ok? This will cause you to be discouraged. I decided to weigh maybe once or twice a week, and go by the way I "feel" as far as feeling lighter. You have time....I have faith in ya! I will be praying for you, too! I am getting antsy right along with you, girl! God bless you! Pat
Patricia Tate
on 11/20/04 10:13 pm - Athens, GA
Jaclyn, I forgot to tell you that if your knees are OK for walking, try to walk every day. This will help more than you know. I have not been able to lose any faster than I have because with arthritic kneeds, I am not able to get out and walk as I would love to do. Please keep us posted on your progress. God bless you! Pat
erotomaniac
on 11/21/04 8:29 pm - Livingston, NJ
Well I think I've been doing well... tonight I ate a little more than usual but nothing too bad, just more sugar than I should have. But I also went on my uncle's treadmill for half an hour which was a huge workout for me since I haven't been on one of those in 3-4 years. I'm trying to walk and I have every day, even if only a little. I'm going to go to the mall and weigh myself later (at that stupid electronic GNC scale lol) because my scale doesn't go past 300 so it's inaccurate. But right now I need to sleep because it's 7:30 in the morning! Oh wow, I forgot it was Monday! SURGERY IS IN TWO WEEKS!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
310lbs GONE<<<GONE GONE
rron999 · 1 replies · 884 views
Anybody still checking in here?
Loni* · 13 replies · 1861 views
Revision 1/13/2011
kellyt · 2 replies · 870 views
Not doing so well
CuteDonna · 6 replies · 1074 views