Recent Posts

shoegirl1023
on 12/15/10 7:58 am - Solon, OH
Topic: RE: 5 Years out!
Thanks for writing and congrats on your success.  Remember we are on a journey without a destination, and we just have to keep moving forward.

Good luck and here's to the next 5 years.

Take care

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/10 4:37 am
Topic: RE: 5 Years out!
Five years post op.  I am happy to report I am healthier, happier and enjoying life.

Losing the weight was the first step.  Learning to cope in life without food as a source of comfort was the next step.  Much harder.  Some days are better than others.  I have one of those transfer addictions so I am working on that portion of my life.

I am within five pounds of my absolute lowest weight which was 157.  My surgeon thought I should be able to get to 180.  I roam around 160 for the last three years.  I am content.

I finally started exercising this year.  I wish I had done more toning early on but it didn't happen.

I am faithful with my vitamins.  I eat protein first.  I can eat most any protein or vegetable.  I choose to avoid sugar, soda and too much fruit.  I am diabetic and still medicated but it is in very good control now.

Someday I may consider plastic surgery but it is a serious conversation.  I have healing issues and infection worries due to RNY and diabetes so it is a grave consideration in my heart.

It is a plan for life.  Stay focused on your health ~ the great shape comes along for the ride!  I weigh less now than when I graduated from high school over thirty three years ago.

I am proud to be a success story.
shoegirl1023
on 12/13/10 4:38 am - Solon, OH
Topic: 5 Years out!
This Thursday (Dec 16th) will be my 5 year re-birthday and I am proud to say it has been a wonderful and smooth journey so far. The reason being is that I have followed my program with the food, liquids, vitamins and daily excersises. I feel healthy and just overall great.

For all of you 5 years out please share your success with me I would love to hear about it.

Thanks and take care

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

hershey dream
on 11/29/10 12:35 pm - Duluth, GA
Topic: RE: Where is everybody?
 I started my journey at 376lbs, got down to 172 around 2 years post-op and maintained there.  I felt so free!  I had tons of energy and newfound confidence.  At almost 4 years post-op, I had a baby and gained 15lbs.  I did lose the baby weight, but became really complacent and regained 26lbs.  I'm slowly making my way back.to where I once was.
Life is not about making it through the storm....but learning how to dance in the rain.      
wantstowin2
on 10/1/10 11:36 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Kathryn B.,

So glad you posted a note and I'm thrilled to see how well you've done!  You just had your plastic surgery done for skin removal from your stomach.  How are you feeling?  Are you up and about yet?  It's so awesome that you've taken up Kung Fu San Soo.  I have no idea what that is, but it sounds very energetic.  I think I'm a little older than you (58), not that that's any excuse, but because of arthritis, I just walk a lot and do some upper body exercise with weights, but I walk many hours every day and never miss a day.  It has been the key for me in this weight loss/maintenance journey that I'm on.  I still can't get over the amount of energy I have now as opposed to when I was at my heaviest, 232.  I am down to 126 lbs. now and am loving everything about it!  Keep up the good work! 

Best,

Janet
Kathryn B.
on 10/1/10 10:56 am - Midwest City, OK
Well Janet I agree at 5 years it is nice to figure out what every one is doing.  As for myself I have meet goal after goal I started this journey weighing almost 400 pounds now I am around 180.   I hit stable for a long while then over the last year just dropped a bunch at once.  As far as excercisng I am doing Kung Fu San Soo 4 days a week.  I do live a totaly different life I am more active and out going.  I feel so much better about me and love the fact that i will get to see my kids grow up.  As of 09/29/10 I did my first plastic surgery for skin removal from my stomach.
wantstowin2
on 9/9/10 9:40 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Topic: Where is everybody?
I had my gastric bypass surgery done in December, 2005, and I have to say that I'm disappointed when I look at this forum.  Everyone seems to have gone by the "weighside!"  I would love to read what other people are doing and how they're doing almost 5 years out.  Are you at goal weight?  Have you gained back some weight?  Are you exercising?  Do you have a totally different lifestyle?  These are some of the questions I want to find answers to.  I feel very alone in this journey, but am doing great.  I am within 3 lbs. of my goal weight of 125 and life is very different.  I spend about 3 hours a day walking and it has changed my life.  I am able to do things I never would have dreamed of being able to do pre-GB.  Although I don't have a support group to go to, I do belong to Weigh****chers and am learning how to eat the right way and how to stay active, etc.  I do have a few minor problems, like insomnia...  I feel I wasted so much time on the couch before I lost weight that I'm making up for lost time.  I have tons of energy that I don't know what to do with, but am loving it!  I have had very few complications or incidents since my surgery and am so grateful for this new way of life and my new body.  I am looking for a gastric bypass support group in the greater Los Angeles area (West), so if anyone knows of any good ones, please let me know.  Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!
Janet
Gunslinger
on 1/9/10 2:47 am
Topic: Tri Care cover plastic surgery?
Does anyone out there know if Tri Care Military Insurance cover any plastic surgery. I've checked the web site and find no mention of plastic surgeons and when I call i'm put on hold forever...any help ya'll could give me on this matter would be greatly appreciated
wantstowin2
on 12/1/09 4:03 am - Los Angeles, CA
Topic: NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS...
Today is the 4th year of my weight loss journey and I feel fantastic!  I still can't believe that I am this normal person who can walk for miles and stay active all the time.  Four years ago, I had difficulty tying my tennis shoes, which I seldom wore because I was so inactive, and now I walk 4 miles every day, without hesitation.  I am able to do things I would have never imagined doing before, like tap dancing, walking around Disneyland without resting, and the list goes on and on.  I am 1 lb. away from my goal weight of 125 and, although I struggle at times (at least once a day), I feel in control and free at last.  I don't know if anyone will read this, but I am forever grateful to all those out there who have been supportive of my journey so far.  My goal for this next year is to maintain my weight and continue to be active.  That is what makes me happy and focused.  I will always remember that, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!"

Wantstowin2
wantstowin2
on 10/5/09 8:59 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Topic: RE: Where are you now? Three years ago, we all were new...
I had no idea what this journey would be like, but so far, almost 4 years later, it has been incredible!  I am down to my goal weight of 125 lbs. for over 3 years now and have a daily routine of walking 4-6 miles, eating lots of protein and trying to stay away from the carbs, going to gastric support groups, going to Weigh****chers to learn a new lifestyle, etc., and it all seems to be working so far.  I still hold my breath each time I get on the scale and there are a lot of old habits that still need breaking, but I feel great, haven't had any problems, other than my appetite seems to have come back over the past year.  I don't know what keeps me going, other than the fact that NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!  As far as relationships and emotions are concerned, I have lost a few friends over the past few years as a direct result of my new lifestyle.  I still have the same husband of 31 years.  He has been extremely supportive and makes sure I have a fresh bottle of Crystal Light every morning instead of a cup of coffee.  I am now addicted to walking instead of food and that makes me feel great.  I look and feel like a totally different person and that's a little weird, but I welcome this and I know I'll get used to it eventually.  When I was told about gastric bypass 4 years ago, I didn't stop to think about the potential consequences regarding family and relationships, etc.  I was so miserable and depressed that I just wanted to change for the better.  I take each step as it comes, but I'm learning to be prepared for anything!  I have a great attitude about life now and have tons of energy.  Best wishes to everyone and keep posting!  It's so important to read what others, who have been out a while, have to say.

Wantstowin2
Most Active
Recent Topics
Congrats on the 10 years!
Josh H. · 0 replies · 721 views
Still Going Strong!
wantstowin2 · 0 replies · 674 views
do you remember me?
rron999 · 1 replies · 780 views
Happy 6th Birthday!
wantstowin2 · 1 replies · 1145 views
How is everyone doing?