Started Optifast And Down 11 Pounds in 3 Days

canlbnj
on 11/23/08 9:49 am - fanwood, NJ
Rob,

Did you give up coffee or any other form of caffeine?  I've found that caffeine withdrawal gives me huge headaches for the first few days.
Rob B.
on 11/23/08 10:13 am - Jefferson City, TN
canlbnj,

Yep, I gave up Diet Coke.  I don't drink coffee and I am a Diek Coke addict .  From what I hear Diect Coke or any other carbonated soft drink may not agree with the Lap Band so until I find out for sure (post-op) I just did it.  I thought I might as well get used to it and that could have been part of the headache problem but I'm sure the drastic diet change was the other part. 

Thanks for your post.

take care,
Rob
dancysdream7
on 11/26/08 12:33 pm - Dallas, TX
RNY on 12/15/08 with
For anyone who has to quit smoking... Chantix is a blessing !   You get to smoke the first week you start taking it, then the second week you stop... after the first day or so I really had no desire to smoke other than the habit of being in the car and thinking...gee I usually smoke here... but that too was not a battle... I'm just ending my forth week now and can sit right next to a friend who is smoking and not want one...truthfully... I really didn't believe I smelled that bad when I smoked.... I was wrong !  

My surgery date is December 15th... so I'm lucky enough to get one last Thanksgiving...lol... but then I start the Optifast Sunday... actually looking forward to getting on with it...

Good luck to all !

And Happy Thanksgiving !
kellylock30
on 11/23/08 9:38 am - Angier, NC
Hey Rob,
 Glad to hear you are doing better. I have surgery 6 days behind you so I guess you are looking at 18 days until woohoo. I am thrilled for you.
I go to my last pre-op tomorrow with my surgeon and I am up roughly 5 pounds give or take so I imagine liquid diet here I come. I am glad to hear that others did ok with this so maybe I will use that as inspiration. And keep telling myself if they can do it so can I. I am glad things have gotten easier with your optifast, just think the weight you are loosing now is less that you have to loose after surgery.
JJ...... Thank you, you are actually the first person on here I have found that smokes as well. But we can do this. I am down to roughly 2-3 a day and they are starting to taste nasty. I am trying to psych myself by telling myself how nasty they are. My husband is taking chantix and it seems to be working for him. Thankfully he is willing to wuit cause I don't know if I could do it with him still smoking.

Just think in a matter of a few weeks we will be on the other side.
Rob please let me know how things go with your surgery.
Take care Kelly
Molly S.
on 11/23/08 12:29 pm - Richmond, VA
Hi Rob,
My lap band surgery is 12/12.  I'm getting really nervous about the pre-opt diet that I start on Friday.  I have my pre-opt hospital stuff and meeting with the Dr. office this Tuesday.  I have been to several support groups in the area and the 4hr. class.  They said we could use Carnation Instant Breakfast with protein powder added.  No sugar added type of course.  And I'm diabetic for 10 years so I know all about that sugar thing.  Anyhow, I have found a protein powder at Sam's, EAS Choc, Whey protein and I hope they will say it's ok because it was good with jsut milk.   Anyhow, I feel like I'm getting ready to leave this life behind and fly to the moon or something.  I'm so interested in how you do, and the trials and tribulations that come with it. 
Take care and I'd love to hear from you.

Molly
Rob B.
on 11/25/08 9:48 am - Jefferson City, TN
Hi Molly,

Thanks for your post.  The Optifast diet is tough (at least I think so) but I have supplemented either 2 ounces of lean white chicken or 2 cups of broccoli.  The information that my dietician provided me during our Nutrition Group indicates its acceptable.  When I do this I cut out one of my Shakes for the day.   It seems to be working as I have been dropping the pounds.  Best of luck to you as you begin your journey.  If you have any questions please let me know....

take care,
Rob
luvinmyfour
on 11/24/08 5:13 am - haverhill, MA
Is this something I would have to request or is this something your dr does automatically
@-(------ Michelle

Rob B.
on 11/25/08 9:51 am - Jefferson City, TN
Hi Michelle,

My surgeon absolutely requires a 3 week Optifast program and will not doe the surgery if you don't follow the diet.  I am not sure that all surgeons require this?  Maybe yours does not and probably does not since you seem to not know.  I am sure your surgeon would have mentioned it by now if it was a requirement.  I hope that I have answered your question. 

take care,
Rob
luvinmyfour
on 11/25/08 10:33 am - haverhill, MA
Hi Rob,
well I went for cardiac clearance today and I inquired about the optifast and they said nope did not need it but they were upset because I wasnt losing enough pre op weight yet but the surgery will be on for Tuesday if my stress test is ok on Monday and I am not coughing up a storm !!
talk with you soon
@-(------ Michelle

Rob B.
on 11/26/08 6:15 am - Jefferson City, TN
Michelle,

Best of luck with surgery!

Rob
Most Active
Recent Topics
Approaching my 3 year mark
edwardtm · 2 replies · 1338 views
any ideas??