getting new insurance -best one for someone obese? (not seeking WLS at this time)

nia111
on 3/22/11 1:25 pm
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on how I should go about searching for new insurance?
Anyone have any idea what insurance would be the best pick and least expensive in terms of extra preniums for someone who is obese?

I have checked a bit online and even had some things sent to me but it seems like specific weight cut offs for being denied or what you have to pay for a BMI above 30, for instance, aren't that easy to find.

I'd appreciate any help or response on this, and I'm really hoping I can find new insurance... I can't imagine not having health insurance,

Thanks,

Nia
Ann M.
on 3/28/11 11:57 pm - Peoria, AZ
Nia, insurance for the obese is usually so expensive that most cannot afford it unless it's offered through work.  Even then, it could be excluded.  If you work, check with them on what it offered.  A lot of times, they will also help pay for Weigh****chers since you're not really looking for surgery.  In the meantime, load up on protein, cut your fat and carbs and start exercising.  You might be lucky enough for that to work for you and then once your bmi is back in the normal range, be able to qualify for regular insurance.  Good luck.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Jodi H.
on 3/30/11 2:23 pm - Apache Junction, AZ
I switched my insurance with my employer this year to BCBS because they do cover bariatric surgery.  It costs me almost $300/mo for me, my husband & our son still though & each of us have a $1k deductible we have to meet.

Jodi ** HW: 240 / CW: 221 / GW: 135
Most Active