OPEN SURGERY

DIANE C.
on 6/9/03 4:01 am - TUCSON, AZ
I HAD MY INTAKE FOR THE SURGERY ON MAY 28,2003. WHEN WE TALKED ABOUT THE SURGERY, I WAS TOLD THAT MEDICARE WOULD ONLY COVER THE OPEN SURGERY. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY. THIS DOESN'T CHANGE MY WANTING THE SURGERY, BUT THIS SEEMS TO BE UNNECCESSARY. IT TAKES LONGER TO HEAL, LONGER STAY AT THE HOSPITAL, ETC. WHAT IS THE REASONING TO THIS? THANK YOU
TheMuse
on 6/9/03 8:38 am - Puyallup, WA
Hello Diane, I believe that the cost of the Lap version to many insurance companies is what seals the deal so to speak. It costs more for the Lap version then it does for the open and the release time is generally the same for both surgeries, 2-3 days. I was fortunate enough to have Humana which covers both. The Lap version was much less painful, but my friend who had the open on the same day as myself was released the same day as me, 2 days later. The insurance company just views it as more expensive, the equipment and amount of time in the operating room just adds up. I wish you the very best and good luck. Heather
Diane55
on 6/11/03 10:28 am - Gilbert, AZ
One of the largest centers, if not the largest with hospitals all over the country, told me they only do open surgeries. I asked why and they said they have the lowest complication rates in the nation. That there is less chance of complications when the surgeon can have hands on.. They also told me the scars are any where from 4 to 6 inches long. Ha, not the ones I have seen. I was sure I would only do a lap. RNY, but now do to what's available I will be having the open, and I am okay with that. They do cost a little less. You see I am paying for this myself.
Most Active