Let's do a poll: Do you drink protein shakes?

freckled1
on 7/23/09 2:09 am
 I am six years out tomorrow and I am currently drinking 2-3 shakes a day.  I seem to have lost my appetite lately and I am hoping to have results similar to yours, Lori, as far as some of my peskier labs responding to a higher albumin level.  

I totally agree with the Sharon about this being an individual thing.  I happen to be super-malabsorber-girl and I think that means I will be needing some help via shakes for life but I know plenty of people are fine getting protein through food.  Yet another reason to watch those labs!

Lori, you are the reason I've tried shakes because of your open and honest approach to posting.  I appreciate you sharing your experience and allowing an old-timer like me to benefit from what you've been given with your DS experience.  Thanks, sweetcheeks!

Lori Black
on 7/23/09 4:51 am - , IN
Trina,

Oh YAY!  I'm glad that shakes are working for you too!  It's really amazing what protein shakes have done for me.  I believe in them the way I believe in the DS, and I just wanna scream it from the mountain tops! 

I think I'm like you, I'm a super-malabsorber!  I've not heard it said that way, I always just say that my DS happens to be on overdrive! 

I hope that both of our labs are affected positively by the changes with protein in our diets!!!

Lori
Denise Afflerbach
on 7/23/09 2:16 am - Baden, PA
 Presently living on them...unfortunately!
Anna G.
on 7/23/09 2:19 am
I was drinking 2-3 a day, but Dr. Smith told me it would slow my weight loss unless I was using them for meal replacements. I still have 30 pounds to lose and it's going awfully slow, so I'm a little paranoid about getting too much protein.

I do still drink one Champion Chocolate every morning before my workout.

Lori Black
on 7/23/09 4:53 am - , IN
I didn't have the experience with it slowing my loss at all, but again we're all different.  I know that your one protein drink a day must be very helpful for your workout!

I never did say so the other day, (or maybe I did?)just how lovely your dance outfit was.  You looked so elegant...but then you always do!

Lori
Anna G.
on 7/23/09 5:01 am
Thanks, babe! 

Mary_J
on 7/23/09 6:43 am
They didn't slow mine, in fact, I think I lost BETTER when I was pretty religious about them.  Even now, if a pound or two creep on, adding the protein drinks drops them quicker than if I don't add them (protein drinks).

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

DianaR
on 7/24/09 5:32 am - Junction City, OR
I found that personally I lost faster when I added more protein shakes. I have no idea why this was, but it just was. Dr. Smith is an excellent Doc, but only you know what works for your body, so listen to yourself, too!

Diana R
SW/CW/GW
248/122/138
"Then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
-Anais Nin

Anna G.
on 7/24/09 6:03 am
Thanks Diana! That seems to be the general concensus! I'll give it a shot because my loss has slowed to nothing.

hokiefan
on 7/23/09 2:28 am - MD
Almost 1 year out and never have them. Tried to add them in again in June and just found no need based on the amount of protein I was getting from food. Chicken, steak & seafood for my tummy  :-)
SW: 278.5    CW: 145-150   GW: I think I'm there, learning to embrace it
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1082 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1257 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 512 views