Scrapple

"Just Elizabeth "
on 2/27/10 5:54 pm - Houston, TX
I remember some time ago there was a discussion on this board about Scrapple. I remember the consensus being that if you were from the North you had probably grown up on it.

Well the PX had some when I went in there today and I picked up a package (please don't start telling me what it is made off. I read the package and it sounds like what ever they scrapped off the butcher floor. Probably mostly lips and butt holes).

So anyway...now that I have this package of Scrapple what is the best way to cook it?

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

MajorMom
on 2/27/10 6:19 pm - VA
 you're going to actually eat that stuff?  I thought you were from Texas. lol

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

"Just Elizabeth "
on 2/27/10 6:29 pm - Houston, TX
Hey! We'll grill anything!!!

Thought I might as well give it a shot since they had it and all.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

MajorMom
on 2/27/10 6:33 pm - VA
Let all us southerners know how it goes. You're very brave.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/10 7:07 pm
Ewww I thought Scrapple was short for Snapple Apple or something tasty made with it.  But this?  Yuck!  I hope you enjoy it though.  Weirdo.  =P
Elizabeth N.
on 2/27/10 8:16 pm - Burlington County, NJ

Slice it rather thin and fry it in very hot bacon grease so it's crispy. True natives eat it with maple syrup.

It's how farmers utilized leftovers after butchering. Perfectly acceptable protein. Don't worry about that.

I just hate the texture and flavor of the stuff. I am NOT a native Northerner, I guess. Although...I just asked DH, who is a native Northerner (well, by non-native standards; he's from NE PA) and he thinks it's gross, too. And this from a guy who will eat anything!

"Just Elizabeth "
on 2/27/10 8:25 pm - Houston, TX
Okay then! And I keep bacon grease in the refrigerator to cook my eggs in. I will give this a shot! Thanks

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

mittenfarm
on 2/27/10 9:49 pm - County Line, MI
I am from MI but have never had it. I think it is more of a northeast kind of thing. I have seen it on the Food Network a few times-for sure on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives- so there may be info on there on how to cook it, or you can google it. I think they sliced and fried it in a pan or deep fried it.
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/10 10:26 pm
Oh, you're brave.  This  was ocassionally cooked in my house--but I've never touched it. Read the ingredient label as a child...

Anyways, to cook--med to med-high pan. Put in a bit of fat of your choice....and then throw in sliced scrapple (say 1/4" slices)....then you have to wait until it forms a nice golden brown crust and then flip it and do the same on the other side.  Everyone always ooohed and ahhed over the crust. 

Have fun!
Chilipepper
on 2/28/10 12:32 am
I grew up on it...Baltimore native...fry it up like sausage patties...slice it...you want it crispy...Scrapple and fried eggs...yum

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 717 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1022 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 343 views