How long did you wait for approval?

lisarn
on 3/25/11 7:39 am - Omaha, NE
 Ok, I know that insurance companies are not created equal, and that there can be variences even within the same insurance company. I know that how long you had to wait will no way reflect the wait I will have.....but, I am curious ya know?? 

So, how long did you wait for the approval, and what insurance did you have?

Thanks so much!
Lisa
HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

beemerbeeper
on 3/25/11 7:48 am - AL
I didn't have to have insurance pre-approval.  It took me four months of hard work to get all my pre-op requirements met.  It felt like a long time at the time, but looking back it was a good four months because I spent A LOT of time right here on OH reading, reading, reading. 

So however long it takes I advise you just to make the best of it because there is a LOT to learn and it takes time for all that information to sink in.

You can also do your body a huge favor by starting to lose weight, starting to exercise and getting on whatever vitamins you are deficient in now.  I had to lose 20 lbs AND quit smoking or my surgeon would not operate on me.  So while I was reading OH and learning about the DS I was also working very hard to lose weight and stop smoking.

Best wishes on your journey,

~Becky

lisarn
on 3/25/11 9:39 am - Omaha, NE
 Beemer,
I just finished my insurance required 6 mos diet last week with my PCP. I have my surgeon consult on Monday morning and then will be scheduling of my other pre-op stuff...psych, nut and any other appts. that are needed. I went to the seminar in Oct., but I've been reading on here (I've read past posts on the ds board, and others, main board mostly), dsfacts, vitalady and any other place I can get info since August. Plus I've talked to a couple of the GI dr's I work with, and a couple of post-ops in real life. 
I know I definitely can lose some weight before surgery, but there aren't any other bad habits I need to stop. I do like to exercise, but these past few months it has gotten harder and harder. That is the one thing that I can't wait to get back to doing because my two youngest teens really like to exercise and go to the gym, and I miss doing that with them.
Lisa
HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

bldeck
on 3/25/11 8:19 am, edited 3/25/11 8:19 am - Farmington, NM
From seminar to surgery was about 3 months.

From Leah turning in my paperwork to the insurance and getting a confirmation took 3 days.

I have BCBS-Federal Employee.

Betty

Edited for Insurance info.

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

bookfaerie
on 3/25/11 8:34 am
 I have Kaiser. From the day of my appeal (which was the day I got the welcome packet into the bariatric program) to the day of surgery was 3 months. 
 "Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"What your heart thinks is great, is great. The soul's emphasis is always right." Ralph Waldo Emerson    
kathy215
on 3/25/11 9:00 am, edited 3/25/11 9:00 am
I was approved in about 4 weeks. I started the process in July 10, went through all the preop testing, etc. Once approved, I got my date and I guess I waited about 3 1/2 months once approved and once all said and done. Surgery was Feb 15th . The wait time did go by quickly, I can't believe I am almost 6 weeks post op..

It will happen, It's hard to be patient when you want something so badly.. They say good things come to those who wait, right?

tmhughes
on 3/25/11 9:09 am
I have BCBS PPO, I was shocked how quick my process went. I had surgery 6 weeks from my first consultation. It would have been a few weeks earlier but I had already paid for a weekend cruise. I went on the cruise then had surgery the next week. Good luck.
sia
on 3/25/11 9:16 am - NY
GHI. From submission to approval, not even three or four days. I honestly think it could have been two, but that's almost two years ago.
We Are A Fever. We Are A Fever. We ain't born typical. ~ The Kills
If you have any g-ddamn sense and want WLS, think about the DS.www.dsfacts.com
Hitorikiri
on 3/25/11 9:40 am - Willow Grove, PA
Started out with Aetna (and plans for a VSG) last August. Did three months of monitored diet, was all set to submit for approval when I found out my insurance was changing to CareFirst BCBS. Switched (heh) to the DS in December/January, and had to do an additional three months of monitored diet. Submitted for approval at the end of February and got it in about two business days (from a Thursday afternoon to Monday night). Then got a surgery date for May 12th. 

So yeah, the waiting for the approval from insurance was actually the quickest part of this whole process, lol. 
Check out my blog: My Switch Story  ✽✽✽ Also, visit DS Facts for real information about the DS.

Candace Sparkles
on 3/25/11 11:04 am
Once my surgeons office submitted it, my insurance office took no time at all. My drs. office accidentally sent my paperwork over for lap band instead of the DS because they read the paperwork wrong where it said LAP DS. So my surgeons office called my insurance the day the submitted to correct it, and they were told at that time that the lapband had alreayd been approved and there wasn't anything ssaying the DS wouldn't be approved so they gave them a tentative approval over the phone. My surgeons office called me and advised me to call my insurance company for the official approval in 4-6 days. I didn't have the patience for that and called in 2 days and it had already been approved. It took me several weeks to actualy get the paperwork though. For me - that was the easy part and then the waiting for a surgery day and then waiting for actual surgery took forever lol. Good luck, this phase youre about to embark on is going to seem like it takes forever, but you will be DS bound soon enough! Make sure to post and let us know once you get your approval!!

My DS

100% EWL achieved!

sw 291/cw 134/gw 145 (Resetting goal to 135!) (resetting yet again to 120!)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 774 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1061 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views