Someone on the main board asking about DS

Rors
on 4/12/11 6:18 am - Johnson City, TN
Vs the Lapband. I told them to come over here but some of you vets might want to go speak up over ther to.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4370939/Lap-Band-vs-Duodenal-Switch/

P.S.I am a newbie and all but I have already had a run in with that Nana person.
alldredget
on 4/12/11 6:22 am - Comstock Park, MI
Yeah, thats me....I couldn't figure out how to post it here...vs the main board, forgive my ignorance...lol 
Elizabeth N.
on 4/12/11 6:38 am - Burlington County, NJ
Welcome! Glad you made it here so quickly. Another place I suggest you visit is the revisions board. Find out how many people want to be RID of the damned band.
(deactivated member)
on 4/12/11 6:51 am
I had a lapband and my bmi was 40 at the time.  It was THE WORST mistake I've ever made...ever!  I lost a total of 50lbs and gained it all back, because I started getting food "stuck" every time I ate, so I resorted to eating soft, "slider" foods.  I couldn't eat ANY solid protein at all, without foaming at the mouth and looking like a St. Bernard.  It was a miserable way to live.  I ended up having to self pay to get the band removed and revised to the DS, and I am so very happy with my DS!  While having to self pay put our finances in a bind, I wouldn't have it any other way.  My husband got his wife back, and my kids got their mom back.  What better payoff could anyone ask for?  Check out www.dsfacts.com for the TRUTH about the DS, and to find a reputable DS surgeon.  Hang out with us here on the forum and read the past pages of posts to learn all about the DS.  Oh!  And if you have questions, always feel free to ask here!
DSn NOT BSn
on 4/12/11 11:09 am
On April 12, 2011 at 1:22 PM Pacific Time, alldredget wrote:
Yeah, thats me....I couldn't figure out how to post it here...vs the main board, forgive my ignorance...lol 
red Rose to the DS FORUM and the beginning of receiving LOTS of very IMPORTANT INFORMATION that will aid in your decision.  Remember, the ONLY DUMB QUESTION is the ONE "NOT" ASKED!  

I would really like to encourage you to check out ANY and ALL links provided...especially from the VETS on this board.  There's nothing like EXPERIENCE and you will find LOTS of it here!

Again...WELCOME!
red Rose            Let Your Heart See What Your Eyes Cannot.  
* WWW.DSFACTS.COM
* Duodenal Switch Information Zone->
www.duodenalswitch.com/
* Dr. Hess' first DS patient 23 yrs ago->http://www.dshess.com/->Click link left column->First BSD/DS
* DS laparascopic animation->www.youtube.com/watch
  * DS animation->www.youtube.com/watch
* Vetted DS Surgeons-> http://www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeo ns.html
* DS Forum->http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id,5357/

* Vitamins Source->
www.vitalady.com
Be the kind of woman that,when your feet hit the floor in the morning,the devil says,"OH NO, She's Up!"
SW/317CW/160s-170s   

lauralisi
on 4/12/11 1:14 pm - Dona Ana, NM

Hi,

Oh, I am sooooo glad you are checking into surgeries before you choose.  There are so many out there it's downright confusing! By you asking, you show that you're smarter than I was.

In 1999, at 45 years old, I weighed 287 pounds.  Although I spoke to a number of surgeons, they all suggested the RNY.  So, I had my RNY and lost 135 pounds, gradually regained about 50 pounds. 
I was getting scared.  No problem, said I.  I will simply have the ROSE/StomaphyX procedure.  Like some other wls, this is targeted to people who need restriction after the RNY.

So, I had the ROSE. Not only did I waste over $8,000.00 plus travel expenses, I felt no restriction whatsoever and  did not lose one pound. In fact, I continued to gain. 

Are you counting? That's 2 weight loss surgeries.  I was then 53 and had spent a lot of my own money, for insurance doesn't cover everything (usually not, anyway)

After gaining 40 more pounds, a kind stranger on OH suggested that I look into the DS-the surgery with the best long-term results.  I had been fighting the DS because I did not want to have terrible gas and poop in my pants Also, DS'rs stink!  Lies, all liesDisgusting shameful lies!!!!!!

I finally did what you are doing now-asking questions and collecting information. I finally got my 3ed and last wls- the DS.  I had to self pay bec by then, I had no more wls coverage.
I have lost 82 of those pounds.  I don't stink, have terrible or poop my pants. I can eat fairly normally, and feel great.

Congratulations on thinking and considerating all your options.

c

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 10:45 am
Rors
on 4/12/11 6:47 am - Johnson City, TN
You also have got several good replies to your first post on the main board now.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/12/11 6:49 am - Tuvalu

Sometimes, I even tickle me!  On that thread I wrote:

But, if after reading this you REALLY want a LapBand, I have an old used one in a baggy in my closet I could sell you for half the price of the surgery.  I wouldn't implant it or anything, but it probably wouldn't make in difference in your weight doing it my way vs actually having surgery.

alldredget
on 4/12/11 7:04 am - Comstock Park, MI
lol...you can keep your used band in your baggy...maybe sell it on ebay!!

After reading these posts, I am really not thinking the band is for me, VSG or DS sounds the best, I just have to find out how much my insurance will cover, because finances is a big component for me.

Thank you all for making me all feel welcome on here and feel free to add me as a friend, I plan on adding my story with some pics and staying on the board as I progress through my journey... 
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 696 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1013 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 340 views