6wks Post Op...now with Nausea

kareng_59
on 5/9/11 10:42 am
 Hi everyone ~ I will be 6wks post op DS on Wednesday.
Last Friday I started having nausea, unable to eat/drink.  Have to force myself to eat and drink.  It is awful!  To make matters worse I have had UTI issues for three weeks, I am on my third antibiotic which I take with food! 
I've tried zofran without relief.  I take nexium at least once a day ~ twice if I can.
Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you very much~

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/11 10:52 am
 The only thing I have for you, take your PPI as soon as you get up before you eat or drink anything at all. 
Also, have you tried changing the from nexium to something else.
It could be the antibiotic that is making you nauseous.

I hope it gets better for you.

Good Luck
kareng_59
on 5/9/11 11:07 am

Thank you very much ~ I will try the nexium as you suggested.
I ruled out the antibiotics as the cause.
I see the doctor Wednesday ~ I hope he has something!
Thank you again!

airbender
on 5/9/11 12:56 pm
oh gosh, you poor thing, nausea is one of the worse things...I had it for so long before my revision.  what has changed from last friday, to induce nausea?  change vitamins?  antibiotics are notorious for causing nausea even with food.  zofran is a RX for nausea if that doesn;t work, that would concern me.  have you called the surgeon?  if it goes on for any length of time ask the surgeon if s/he thinks an upper GI or endo would be indicated.  hope you find relief soon
kareng_59
on 5/10/11 6:11 am
Thank you for your message~
Actually I did start a new antibiotic on Friday for the UTI issue.  I have been forcing myself to eat so I can take the antibiotic!  My friend suggested I also could be dehydrated which is causing the burning and now the nausea from the antibiotics!
I see my surgeon tomorrow!  Thank goodness!
Thank you for your concern and well wishes~
Have a great day!

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/11 12:33 am
Nexium made me nauseated and I switched to Prilosec and never had any issues. Hope you get to feeling better soon--try to get your fluids in, that's very important.
kareng_59
on 5/10/11 6:15 am
Thank you for the information~I see my surgeon tomorrow and am anxious to see what he suggests. 
I am trying to get the fluids in too!
Have a great day!

NoMore B.
on 5/10/11 6:41 am
 I would look at three things - 

1 - A PPI, make sure you're on one, or maybe you need to change the one you're on.
2 - Dehydration, are you getting enough fluids?  Your urine should be very light or clear
3 - Hunger?  I found early out that I got nauseous when I was hungry.  Having a piece of string cheese or some peanut butter (right off the spoon) every hour or so took care of the problem for me.
kareng_59
on 5/10/11 6:50 am
Hi Joanne~
I appreciate your suggestions and will address all.
I am not drinking, I have to force myself and then the nausea is worse. 
I find I get nauseated and pain when I'm hungry.   Isle like your suggestions to conquer that!  I will force myself and see if that helps!
I'm so appreciative of your help, thank you.
I will see my surgeon tomorrow and ask about the PPI.
Have a great day! 

kareng_59
on 5/10/11 6:50 am
PS...You look great!

Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 0 replies · 8 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 0 replies · 8 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1087 views