Do you drink alcohol?

butercup
on 5/10/11 7:08 am - Kennewick, WA
I'm just wondering the details of drinking after the surgery.  When you could, If you could, never again, how it effects the body, stuff like that.

Thanks
Jessie T
on 5/10/11 7:16 am - Boonies, MN
Yes, I do. I didn't have a taste untill 6 months out. Then only a little. Now if I'm not low carbing I can put it away. If I haven't eaten or if I'm eating very little carbs, I get wasted quick! I mostly drink wine or vodka diet. Rarely do I have anything with much sugar.

newyorkbitch
on 5/10/11 7:17 am
I'm over 11 years post-op.  I am a wine drinker and I drink wine in moderation several times a week.  I started drinking wine again post-op probably around 3 months out.  I also have the occasional ****tail (scotch,  martini,  etc) and I have no problems.  I never get drunk,  never have (except when I was a teenager a couple of times).    I guess what I'm saying is that the DS didn't change anything about drinking for me. 

P. Poster
on 5/10/11 7:32 am
 Yes, I do drink.  I had my first "drink" at 2 months out of surgery.  It consisted of 3 sips of a margarita before I was trashed.  No joke.  I was sober again in like 40 minutes...  It was WEIRD.  I have since had a bit here and there, like a glass of wine at Christmas & a glass of champagne on New Years.  Those were fine.  

Once I hit 9 months out, and my liver function labs had been stable and coming back well within normal limits (the rapid weight loss can stress your liver, it never did mine though) for the entire 9 months, I started to have drinks more frequently.  A glass of wine a few times a week with dinner, and occasionally, one night a week that I will have a few drinks over an entire night.  That's about it.  I don't drink to get drunk.  

I will say, drinks affect me much faster now, and I am definitely a light weight too.  3 drinks and I'm WASTED, like can't see straight, stumbling, slurring- NO good.  But, on the positive side, I also sober up much faster, and never wake up feelin it the next day (no more hangover!).  

There have also been 2 occasions since my DS that I have fainted while drinking.  It was as if the alcohol relaxed me enough that my normal low blood pressure (normally abut 100/60) bottomed out and that was it, lights out for me.  I had my BP and pulse checked during these episodes (helps when you only ever drink with medical folk, LOL!) and my pulse was in the 40s and my BP around 80/40 or a bit lower...  Dehydration could play a role here, but I am usually VERY good about being hydrated.  It could have also been an episode of reactive hypoglycemia, as both times, it was after sweet drinks.  BOTH of those times, I had only had 2 drinks in as many hours.  I have found if I stick to a certain drink, I am fine.  So, needless to say, I ONLY drink somewhere safe, with company I trust, and I stick to my vodka/diet tonic with extra lime.  I say this as a warning- you just DO NOT know how alcohol will affect you anymore, and one time, you may be fine and the next NOT fine.  Practice very cautious habits when you chose to imbibe.
PattyL
on 5/10/11 7:51 am
 I am an occasional drinker.  Maybe 10 or 12 drinks a year.  It affects me the same way it always has.  No changes.
beemerbeeper
on 5/10/11 8:53 am - AL
I found that I got drunk much faster and sober much faster as well. I also found that I had no hangover at all.  I can imagine that it would take more alcohol to keep a buzz for a period of time.

I waited until I was well past a year post op before I had a drink.

~Becky

butercup
on 5/10/11 9:38 am - Kennewick, WA
Thanks for all of your replies. They are really helpful.
lk1970
on 5/10/11 9:55 am
I drank after 6 months. I cannot drink like I used to, 3 drinks over a few hours is about all I can do. I drink vodka now, no high carb drinks for me.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

Emily F.
on 5/10/11 9:56 am
I've had a drink 3 times. I got drunk really fast and then stop. I'm not interested in blacking out or stumbling and looking like an idiot. Neither my husband nor I drink at home so just socially plus I have to coordinate w hubby who is DD, rarely is it he, so all that together, I don't drink much. I think it really depends on what you eat, how much you weigh etc. Also, I don't feel 'safe' without my hubby, so I end up being the DD when I go out with the girls.
Julie R.
on 5/10/11 10:05 am - Ludington, MI
I have had progressively worsening issues with alcohol, so I drink very rarely now.    I started out being able to tolerate it pretty well, and had my first drink at maybe eight months post-op.   Like others, one or two drinks affected me quickly, but just as quickly, I sobered up.    As the years progressed, however, I've developed an increasing intolerance to alcohol.     I think I have perhaps some type of reactive hypogycemia going on.   I get a headache almost immediately after a first drink.     I will also have problems with awakening in the middle of the night with a shaky, anxious feeling - usually several hours after drinking.    Eating CONSTANTLY before, during and after drinking seems to lessen this affect, which is why I surmise this might be a glucose thing.   Also, wine, which I loved so dearly pre-op, gives me reflux (so do margaritas and other "fruity" drinks) and I've really lost my taste for alcohol these days, much to my husband's disappointment, because he likes it when I occasionally get a little drunk and wanton, LOL.    

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 851 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1102 views