Got to thinking...

kahlana
on 4/24/11 5:35 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Stuff that is going on  on the main board got me to thinking. I have read a lot of the posts here on the DS board as well as a TON of the DS'ers blogs and is it just me or does it seem the worst complication is not getting enough of any of the  required vitamins? I don't recall reading of anyone dealing with anything life-threatening so far? I hope I don't just have blinders on because I am wanting to have the DS  or whatever but I just don't seem to be able to find a whole lot of worst case scenarios with DS.

My Blog My Facebook

Janine P.
on 4/24/11 5:48 am - Long Island, NY
There are plenty of people who've come close to something horrific.  I'm sure they'll chime in.  But just to give you an idea, there are leaks, strictures, protein deficiencies and so on.  But I'm saying this not to scare you; these issues can happen with an RNY or VSG as well. 

Janine   Me on Youtube 

kahlana
on 4/24/11 6:06 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I am hoping they will because i dont want to go into this thinking that everything will be rosy when its over.I am one of those people that has to have all the worst case scenarios so I can prepare for them even if its just in my own mind.

My Blog My Facebook

adkmtngirl
on 4/24/11 6:16 am - Brant Lake, NY
 I prepared myself for the worse case scenario before I had surgery, let me tell you, it made my recovery seem like a breeze as compared to what I had mentally set myself up for! 

Yes, there can be very serious complications that occur during or after you have your DS, but I don't think the percentage is any higher with the DS surgery than the RNY or VSG. (though I could be wrong). 
Kristina

kahlana
on 4/24/11 8:13 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Kristina I had been reading the different sites for all the complications for each type of surgery as well and the DS seems to have the least complications  from what i can understand of all the reports and stuff.. but I can be wrong about that. but my imagination has to think worst case scenario so that when it DOESNT happen I can feel great that it didnt lol.

My Blog My Facebook

Helen C.
on 4/24/11 2:25 pm - Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Well I will chime in.... My surgery went really well. I had my leak test the day after surgery and it was clear no leak. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days as is standard for Dr Selwyn and his DS patients. I was sent home with a JP drain in place (also standard) and started on my full liquid diet.

Almost a week after being home I noticed that whatever color the liquid I was putting into my body was the color the liquid coming out of my JP drain was. So I called Dr. Selwyn and he had me come into his office the next day. I told him exactly what was going on and he sent me for another leak test. This test showed I did in fact have a leak. The thing that kept me from getting deathly sick was the fact that I had that JP drain and it was picking up most if not all of the leak contents.

I was admitted back into the hospital that minute and told I could not have anything to eat or drink. A couple of days later Dr Selwyn placed a central line and I was started on TPN (IV nutrition). I was released about 4 days later. I was still on the TPN and had to have home health nurses come in 1-2 times per week.

I remained on the TPN and not allowed to eat or drink anything for nearly 2 months. By this time my body decided to kick the JP drain out on its own. Dr. Selwyn had them do a CT scan with contrast (both oral and IV) to check on my leak. At that point the CT scan showed no leak, no abscesses, and no fluid pockets.

I have since been allowed to slowly start drinking and eating pureed foods.

Since the leak has healed I have had pretty smooth sailing (knock on wood).

With all of this said if you asked me would I do it all again my answer would be 1000000% yes. I say that because I know I made the right choice to get myself healthy. This was the right surgery for me and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/11 8:21 pm
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 703 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1015 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 341 views