?? about the DS surgery??

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/11 6:07 am - Woodbridge, VA
I would have PREFERRED a 2-part DS instead of the "modified" (extra super long common channel) DS I ended up with. My issue was that I had had a prior open abdominal surgery when I was 16 that apparently caused a lot of dense adhesions that became an issue during my surgery.
beemerbeeper
on 4/30/11 10:14 am - AL
You pick a surgeon who is known for doing the whole DS during the first surgery.  You follow their pre-op requirements completely.  I think that is all you can do.

~Becky

kat08
on 4/30/11 11:21 am - Matthews, NC
I am about 10 lbs heavier than you and my surgeon never even suggested that I have a 2 part DS.  I agree w/Becky.  You go w/a surgeon who is known for doing the DS in 1 step and is successful at it.
-Kathy
Have you had or are you going to have the DS and live in the Charlotte, NC area?  There is a DS meet up group near you!  PM me for details.
MsBatt
on 4/30/11 1:10 pm
The only thing I can add is---discuss this with your surgeon, and make it VERY CLEAR that you ONLY want a full DS, and if that means converting to an 'open' procedure,so be it.
geutenmorgan
on 4/30/11 3:28 pm
Wow everyone's comments are extrememly helpful. I was under the impression, probably from the first surgeon I spoke to, not Dr. S. that I had to get my liver in order... not so "fatty" which is why he was going to have me on a 4 week liquid diet before hand. Dr. S said no such thing to me. I was planning on going on a liquid diet for 2 weeks just to help my liver be more flexible and to ensure the surgeons ability to do it in one surgery not 2. Am I mistaken with this thought process?
I will be sure to emphasize the one surgery only clause.

BTW... slim.... nice glasses.

Thanks all to who viewed and replied. I really appreicate all the advice.
CAN!!  by Rick Hoyt     
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 357 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 815 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views