Iron...what the hell am I doing?

newyorkbitch
on 7/16/11 4:18 am
How much D are you taking and what form?  That's essential for calcium absorption.

It is highly possible that no amount of iron taken orally will do the trick.

kirmy
on 7/16/11 10:31 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
**** at work and don't have my tub here but I noramlly take two doses of vitaladys D a day.  My vit D was stupenously high so I don't over suppliment.  From memory I think it was in the high 800's last labs.  I also take a multi which also has a smattering of D as well.  I'm on high dose Vitalady everything.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
Lisey
on 7/16/11 3:41 am, edited 7/16/11 3:41 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I know my body wasn't utilizing my iron from the inflammation thing, but I was absorbing it just fine with a ferritin of 470 . . . . I was taking one Proferrin & one Hemantic Polysaccharide 150 with copper and C away from food.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

kirmy
on 7/16/11 3:54 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Ok I'll look into that now. Cheers babe.

Kayla B.
on 7/16/11 3:42 am - Austin, TX
Oh man, that stinks about the blood sample.  I'd be so pissed.

What kind of tender iron do you have?  Grey hockey pucks or orange capsules?  I believe the current recommendations are to take at least 300mg elemental iron.  Grey hockey pucks are 25 mg each (so you'd have to take 12...lol, sorry!) and supplement vitamin C.  Orange capsules are 60mg each and already have vitamin C (so you'd need 5).

You can work your way up to that amount over the course of a couple of weeks.  If you can tolerate more, I'd take more.  It took me 6 tender capsules (360mg), 3 polysaccharide irons (450mg), and 2 proferrins per day (36 mg heme) to raise my ferritin from 19 to 69.  And if your best efforts don't work, hopefully you will be able to get an infusion.

I think colace is a very good and easy to take stool softener.  The generic name is docusate.  Try to find a big bottle as often times you may need like 4-6 per day.  I know of a DSer that takes an inordinate amount though...I never got the exact amount from her, but I think she takes more than 16 of them/day.  You could start by adding one to every or every other calcium dose.  I kinda like doing 2 during the day, then 2-3 more at night for a good cleanout in the morning.  Some people just take 4 at night.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
kirmy
on 7/16/11 3:55 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
I'm on the orange footballs!  I'll try to get them up to 300mgs ASAP.  I will also take Lindsays advice and look at some other forms as well.  Cool advice Missy. Thanks. x

beemerbeeper
on 7/16/11 7:41 am - AL
beemerbeeper
on 7/16/11 7:44 am - AL
Are you taking Mag Oxide with your Calcium?  I take six doses of Calcium a day.  Depending on how much fat is in my diet I take up to 6 doses of Mag Oxide as well.  If I get some extra fat I can skip a dose or two of the Magnesium.

~Becky

kirmy
on 7/16/11 10:34 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
I only take one Mg a day as my blood levels were REALLY high last test.  However I was over supplimenting my vitalady multi's so suspect that was the culpret. Do you think this is the answer to better calcium absorbtion?

beemerbeeper
on 7/16/11 11:25 am - AL
I can't answer as to whether it is the answer to better calcium absorbtion.  All I can tell you is that I am taking 400 of Mag Oxide six times a day and 200 of Mag Citrate 6 times a day.  If I get more fat I can cut back on the Oxide a bit.  If I get less fat I go back to 6 a day.  Fat, Mag Oxide and popcorn are my poop consistency controls.  I don't have to do anything else.  I eat very high protein and pretty low carb.

I've been told I need the Mag Citrate for my bones so that is why I take it.  I've also been told that Magnesium labs are pretty non-informative but  have no idea why.  I also know that my leg cramps decreased when I increased my Mag Citrate from 200 bid to 6 times a day.

I can REALLY increase my fat when I need to by adding butter or oil to my protein cake shakes (as much as 3-4 Tablespoons).  I also add a ton of butter (1/2 stick)  to popcorn when necessary. 

Do what you have to do.  You do not want a fissure.

Hugs,

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 374 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 826 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views