Iron...what the hell am I doing?

duncans
on 7/16/11 8:12 am
I was very diligent in taking proferrin and tender iron for 6 months after my last infusion of Venofer in the hope of avoiding furth infusions. My ferritin level went from 97 (post infusion) to 64. I am stuck with infusions forevermore. Not a big deal for some folks, but my veins really suffered. Terribly painful, lost every vein used. For months after I could not stand to gloves ( I'm a nurse).

Good luck in finding an answer.

kirmy
on 7/16/11 10:35 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
****!  You thought of getting a porta-cath to save your poor veins?  That really sucks mate.  Sorry to hear that you're having a crappy time of it.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
"Just Elizabeth "
on 7/16/11 10:59 am - Houston, TX
I tended towards anemia as a preop so you know it didn't get any better post op. I take 2x the dosage 2 times a day except starting a few days before my period. Then I take it 3 times a day. Yes. When I get up in the middle of the night to pee I also take a double dose of iron. I can absolutely tell the difference if I don't take it and it only takes about a week for me to be able to tell.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

marilyn A.
on 7/16/11 12:51 pm - willoughby, OH
DS on 03/17/94
Have you tried rx FERRO GELS? My ferritin was 4 and I started these ---about 2 per day. Within 4 months,my ferritin was 100. It's stayed there with one per week for the past 2 years.
"Just Elizabeth "
on 7/16/11 10:49 pm - Houston, TX
I haven't heard of these! When I was in Kuwait it was whatever I could get shipped in and I always ordered in bulk. Now, 4 months later, I'm still finishing off the supply. I will have to look for these. Thank you so much.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

kirmy
on 7/17/11 2:49 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
I noticed it has soyabean oil in it.  Do you find yourself just ****ting it out? How long have you been on it?  I noticed the FDA are not fans of if.  I'd be intersted to hear how you came across it and how long it took to get your levels up. 

ingredients: blue 1 lake, gelatin, glycerin, hydrogenated soybean oil, lecithin, red 40 Lake, soybean oil, starch, titanium dioxide, vegetable shortening, yellow 6 Lake, yellow beeswax.

Each softgel contains:

Vitamin C (as ascorbic Acid)..............60 mg

Folic Acid.........................................1 mg

Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin)......10 mcg

Iron (as ferrous fumarate).................151 mg

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
marilyn A.
on 7/17/11 5:46 am - willoughby, OH
DS on 03/17/94
My hematologist wanted me to try it before we pursued infusions. About that time Rachel (rayehawk on oh) suggested it. I was surprised  how quickly my ferritin came up to 100. Like 3-4 months! Actually it got to 140 and I started to back off a little. For the past few years I just take 1 a week, as I think of it, and my ferritin has stayed around 90-100. No side effects that I could detect.
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 3:11 am
-BabyCatcher-
on 7/17/11 1:54 pm - CA
Kirmy, sorry to hear you're having this problem, Sweetie.  Others will give you advice on the iron questions - I gave up on that a long time ago and get infusions as needed - approximately every 2.5 years so far.

But, I'll gab at ya about the high PTH.  My D has been on the low side for ever and ever and my PTH has been waaay high.  I have taken up to 600,000 iu of VitaLady's dry D/day to no avail.  I am now working with a nephrologist (I TOTALLY recommend nephrologists over endocrinologists for malabsorptive vs hormonal D, calcium and PTH issues).  So, as I was sayin', my D has been low historically - and my PTH has been high, high, high.  After working for 3 mothhs with the nephrologist  all of my various different vitamin D levels are now GREAT!!!  But, the PTH has not budged.  Turns out I have PRIMARY hyperparathyroidism - caused by an adenoma on my parathyroid gland - and it turns out I do not have secondary hyperparathyroidism caused by low D levels.  I'm just sayin'...  not every health or medical issue is related to the DS or malabsorption.  Just a reminder, chickie!

Muah!
BabyCatcher
Destined to be an old woman with no regrets!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 374 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 826 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views