Waffle recipe, is it DS friendly?

geutenmorgan
on 7/25/11 5:01 am
 I found this waffle recipe from Alton Brown, on Good eats, Food network.  I was just wondering if it would work for a DS

5 .5 ounces of Old Fasion oatmeal  (approx 1 1/2 cups plus 1 1/2 tsp)
4 ounces of Whole wheat  (approx 1 cup minus 2 TB)     original recipe was 4 oz AP flour                                                                                                                           (approx 1 cup minus 1 TB)  
1 1/2 TB brown sugar              original recipe was 3 TB sugar
1 1/2 TB splenda                       original recipe was no splenda
1 tsp baking powder
1tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 lg eggs beaten
2 ounces butter  melted and cooled
16 ounces buttermilk @ room temp
Heat 10 inch saute pan over med heat add oats and cook stirring occasionally, until toasted for about 3 min.  Cool the oats in the pan for 2-3 more min.  Grind in food processor until flour consistency.
Heat waffle iron.
Wisk together the oat flour, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda in med bowl.  Wisk eggs, melted cooled butter together in a seperate bowl and add buttermilk.  Mix wet and dry ingrediants till combined.  Let batter rest for 5 min.
cook in waffle iron according to manufacturers instructions.

I made it and ate 1/2 of one with peanut butter on it, it was yummy and calmed my craving for pancakes,  I guess we will see if I agree with it.

What do you think?
CAN!!  by Rick Hoyt     
teachmid
on 7/25/11 5:10 am - OKC, OK
Don't know how many waffles this makes, but roughly the batter has about 169 gm carb and minimal protein not counting the sugar. I'd stick with protein first.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

geutenmorgan
on 7/25/11 5:25 am
 it made 6 large 8 inch waffles.
geutenmorgan
on 7/25/11 5:30 am
 so if it made 6 large waffles and there is 168 carbs in the recipe, then that makes 28 carbs per waffle.  If 1/2 a waffle fills me up after putting peanutbutter that is only 14 carbs.
Techmind is that carb count 168 minus any fiber. cuz there was quite a bit of fiber in this recipe?
BTW how did you find out how many carbs are in this recipe.  That would be great information.
Thanks for your help.
Elizabeth N.
on 7/25/11 12:06 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Being filled up on half a waffle should be a great exception, because there's next to no protein in that meal. As long as it's a very occasional treat, fine. But beware getting in the habit of looking for "adapted" carby recipes. You will be playing mind games on yourself in no time flat, and you are much too early out to be farting around with that stuff. You need NUTRITION in every mouthful.

P. Poster
on 7/25/11 5:44 am
 The first 3 ingredients are nothing but carbs.  If you want pancakes or waffles, I suggest buying some Atkins All Purpose Baking Mix and making them with that.  I never use sweetner in pancakes or waffles either, it's really not necessary.
teachmid
on 7/25/11 5:48 am - OKC, OK
No, that's roughly after I subtracted out the fiber. Just look at the nutritional info on each ingredient and add OT up then subtract the fiber. Also look at the protein count.

What you want to consider is what your daily protein and carb goals are. Remember, eating carbs tends to breed craving carbs.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

geutenmorgan
on 7/25/11 6:57 am
Thank you!
Catnip
on 7/25/11 8:47 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Try this receipe instead.  I would not use any milk to thin if i was making waffles and use full fat cottage cheese so they get crispy.
 Ezpy's Cottage Cheese Pancakes:

Ingredients:
1 cup of cottage cheese (any kind -- I like Knudsen small curd)
4 eggs (3 if they're really jumbo)
1/4 cup of flour (this can be almond, but is best with wheat)
2 tbsps of butter melted (can be salted)
Cinnamon and salt to taste (I like LOTS of cinnamon)
Milk to thin (optional)

Scoop the cottage cheese into a blender. Add 2 eggs and blend for like 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the blender. Add flour and 2 more eggs, blend for another 30 secs or so until pretty smooth. Add cinnamon and salt to taste. If batter is too thick and thinner is preferred, or to use as crepes, blend in milk to thin. 

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Elizabeth N.
on 7/25/11 12:07 pm - Burlington County, NJ
You can do this with Greek yogurt or ricotta cheese as well.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 309 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 774 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views