aside from vitamins and protein what can be done to prevent hair loss? or what can be added +

Twi light
on 7/27/11 4:03 pm - NY
i take a b-150 complex and almost all the vitamins on the vitalady plan already (i am just 2 weeks out)

I am getting in 80-120 of protein in shakes and then whatever else in food, i dont eat much still but a few cans of tuna, some chopped liver, etc.... i just use the shakes to make sure i have enough protein and then anything with food is just icing on the cake type of deal, i figure i cant really be getting too much protein right now since my body is still in healing mode.

What else can i do to prevent hair loss? Add biotin?   I been tolerating all my vitamins rather well so adding one more thing is not going to really bother me i just wonder what is the best thing to add, biotin was always the go to for most people for healthy hair, skin nails b4 having surgery but now post op i am not sure what is ideal?

MajorMom
on 7/27/11 7:55 pm - VA
I don't know if there's anything we can do to totally avoid the hair loss since it's more like to be from ketosis and reactions to the stress of surgery. When I was new Carolyn M was suggesting extra zinc, selenium, 100 grams of protein and extra water as a way to possibly minimize the loss. I shed hair like crazy but it didn't come out in clumps. What grew back is extremely healthy hair with a wave in it.
--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MarciRenee
on 7/27/11 8:17 pm, edited 7/27/11 8:18 pm - IA
What Gina said...except my curly hair grew back straight.

And remember with biotin that it stimulates ALL hair growth, not just head hair.  So if you are a woman who has excess facial hair that is NOT a route you're going to want to take.  Biotin will not stop you from losing hair but will promote healthy new hair growth.

There is no stopping it - it is what it is.  Accept that, take your vites, get your water and protein in and hope for the best.  My hair loss lasted from months 4 to 8.  In prep for the hair loss I cut my hair very short and only washed it every other day.  The more you **** with it the more you are going to lose when it's falling out.
Marci       
newyorkbitch
on 7/27/11 8:49 pm
There is nothing you can do to prevent it.  It is caused in large part because of the drop in estrogen due to rapid weight loss. 
kahlana
on 7/27/11 10:48 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I have super thick afro curly hair and to tell the truth I am actually looking forward to losing it lol. I keep threatening to shave my head and start over so maybe hair loss will be a good thing for me lol. Anyway, I've been taking biotin for about 4 months now and even though I am pre-op still I haven't seem much of a change in my hair, skin or nails. I keep hoping for longer strong nails and longer hair but so far nada. Nails are still breaking off once they get to a certain point, hair still the same length it was 4 months ago. So maybe I need to look for a hair, skin and nails specific brand of biotin instead of one that just says biotin on it?
Udamnskippy
on 7/28/11 5:22 am - Port Orchard, WA
Nothing will prevent the hair loss .Some have more than others. My loss started just about 6mos to the day of surgery. My hair turned curlier and nappy than before.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 7/28/11 5:29 am
I gotta admit, I'm hoping my shedding stops soon. I'm 71/2 months out. It's not a lot but it adds up, so I'm getting a little nervous.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

mylittleblackdress
on 7/28/11 1:23 pm - FL
There is nothing you can do except eat lots of protein and take your vits--I added biotin three times/day and my hair fell out by the gobs until I got to the one-year mark.  I did use the Phyto three month treatment regime for hair loss which made what I had thicker and may have helped.  Fortunately the fallout seems to have stopped.  My hairdresser says all her clients who have had significant weight loss go through this and not much helps except time.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 361 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views