Gluten and Dairy Issues and DS

BetsyDP
on 9/19/11 1:58 pm - East Lansing, MI
I've been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance and now have to eliminate gluten from my diet.  Any ideas how to get high protein in without dairy?  Any tasty recipes or snacks that are gluten free?  Websites? 

beemerbeeper
on 9/19/11 2:11 pm, edited 9/19/11 2:12 pm - AL
I'm not sure I understand your question.  Gluten is not dairy.  Gluten is found in wheat/flour products. 

I just don't eat it.  I read labels and if it has gluten in it I don't eat it.  I've been sensitive to it from day one.  I don't eat lactose but I can eat cheese, sour cream, heavy cream etc...  Just not milk.

I'm sure there are tons of gluten free websites.  Restaurants have gluten free items and there are lots of gluten free products in stores.

I do whey protein shakes and I eat mainly protein so I don't have a problem getting 200 grams of protein a day.

Going gluten-free keeps the carbs away so I don't mind it at all.

~Becky

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/19/11 4:09 pm - Tuvalu
An entire world of them....

lmgtfy.com/
elixir
on 9/19/11 4:15 pm - MI

I've never seen lmgtfy.com before. I can hardly wait to use it on my kid... but she probably already knows about it.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/19/11 9:43 pm - Tuvalu

EN "showed it" to me...when I asked something.

meredith_123
on 9/19/11 9:27 pm - Waterford, MI
  So funny, love it.
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
P. Poster
on 9/19/11 9:10 pm
 If you have issues with gluten, and dairy, you have more than one intolerance.  Gluten is derived from wheat.  Lactose (SUGAR!) is found in dairy.  If it's just a gluten issue, you will have no problem getting in your protein.  Even if it also encompases a lactose issue, many people can still eat dairy with a lactose intolerance- just stick to the more unprocessed and UNSWEETENED dairy products, like, heavy cream in place of milk, plain greek yogurt in place of the sweetened stuff, hard cheeses instead of the more creamy ones, ect.  And, there are a HOST of lactose free options on the market as well- check out Lactaid brand for milk, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, ect.  In any case, just know that gluten and lactose are not interchangable and not the same thing... 
sweetpotato1959
on 9/20/11 2:16 pm
 Been doin' it for years. still tolerate little  dairy...I use  one half gallon  lactose free milk in 2 weeks. There is a soy cheese., usually kept close to the tofu... and tofu is good  for protein as well.but it seems to upset my  polycystic ovarian disease., so I have to limit my soy... and Bordens did have a lactose free cheese, in American, but my wally world has stopped stocking it.
       I use soy protein...no whey. and only one protein shake  a day. Gnc has one called protein 95, last time I looked...about 1.25 per serving.. There is also one from egg white, I haven't tried it, but I can eat the eggs, so I just poach my eggs.
Denise
sweetpotato1959
on 9/20/11 2:18 pm, edited 9/20/11 2:19 pm
 Oh yes, I did have a different wls, but I have had those same symptoms...
        I was one of the ones that couldn't tolerate any dairy, no milk no cheese no cottage cheese, yugart, sour cream... except completely lactose free... and there are some who are truly allergic to milk...they really have it rough.
          Watch for hidden milk in your items, it's in  lots of foods,some you might not think of, and it is listed under different names...  that are boxed...they add it to instant  potatoes and  some of the milk extracts to all kinds of seasonings.
        You will just have to try  to cut  all your dairy and add it back very slowly  no more than one serving a day for at least 4 days... then add another serving...over another 4 days... to find your l tolerance limit.
          If it is lactose intolerance and not allergy, some of the vitamin supply  places, either Swanson's or puritans pride has  LACTASE suppliments...to break down the lactose// at a reasonable price. You can also pick up  the 24 hour ones,at wal mart... but I haven't tried those.
Denise
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 321 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views