Please help! I need advice!

SoonToBeSkinnyMinni
e

on 7/22/13 10:11 am - Brooklyn, NY

Hi everyone! I'm new to the site, this is my first post nod I'm begging for help!

I am scheduled to have gastric bypass on the 29th but my surgeon called me yesterday to tell me that he's been thinking about it and he thinks the duodenal switch would be a better choice for me. I never heard of if before yesterday so I've been reading up and looking for as much information as possible so I can make an informed decision. He said I could potentially lose 30- 50 additional pounds and have less likelihood of gaining it back, which sounded great, but then I started seeing how much different the diet would be and the occurrence of "potty issues". 

I am asking for any and all advice, any stories, good and bad, that you are willing to share. As well as any comparisons that anyone might know about the differences between the bypass diet and the DS diet, (plus the differences in potty issues!)

thanks in advance!

Herman
on 7/22/13 10:34 am

Read up on the DS on

dsfacts.com 

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
SoonToBeSkinnyMinni
e

on 7/22/13 11:50 am - Brooklyn, NY

Thanks Herman!

i read most of the info on that site, it's very helpful. I'm looking for some personal experiences, like what people can and can't eat, what complications they've had, if any, or positive experiences too :)

Crazeru
on 7/22/13 10:49 am

Hands down - do the DS.  RNY has potty issues too.  Most folks don't have problems.  A lot of the issues are related to what you choose to eat.

Yes, you do need more protein and vitamins, but the stats for the DS far outweigh the RNY as least for me.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

fullhousemom
on 7/22/13 11:46 am

There is too much to for any of us to say in one post.  Read all the posts.  Spend many HOURS reading and on the site mentioned.  Read, read, read, and you will develop some more specific questions.  You will find a ton of information and support 

fullhousemom
on 7/22/13 11:48 am

Oh, and make sure your surgeon has a track record for doing DS surgeries.  Interview his past patients.  Look here for others who have had him do the DS surgery.  I dont quickly recognize his name, but there are others here who will have more surgeon-specific information.

SoonToBeSkinnyMinni
e

on 7/22/13 11:55 am - Brooklyn, NY

Good idea for checking out former patients on here!

i guess my biggest question, and it's the kind of thing most people don't want to talk about, but how long do DS patients deal with the gas and loose #2s? Is it a forever thing? Is is the kind of thing that will cause an accident? Ugh, I'm so embarrassed to even ask about these things! Sorry if I'm offending anyone :(

fullhousemom
on 7/22/13 12:25 pm

Questions about gas and bm's NEVER offend anyone here.  This is the place you can bare it all!  

Everyone will have a different answer to your question.  I get gassy at 1 1/2 years out if I eat too many bad carbs.  I will have loose stools if I don't take my calcium and eat well.  I have had two "accidents" when I thought I thought I had gas, and it was a little more.  But we all relearn how our new configurations work, and then the issues are very manageable and controllable.  

I would never had had an rny.  Never.  I am very happy with my DS and dont look back.  My guess is you have a lot of weight to lose if your doctor is advising you to do the DS.  Kudos to him for steering you this way.

Your question is posed frequently here.  Look at the back threads and you will find hundreds of different perspectives on this!

Also, google proboards and weightlosssurgery and you will find another forum, primarily DSers, where you can find a ton of information.

SoonToBeSkinnyMinni
e

on 7/22/13 12:27 pm - Brooklyn, NY

Thanks so much! :) :) :)

ANGELOJOS27
on 7/23/13 8:04 am - Phoenix, AZ
DS on 02/05/13

We talk poop all day... dont be emberrased... Its a huge topic but remember people usually only post when they have an issue. Not everyone checks in to say "i'm have a no issue kind of day" Look back at past posts and get the jist of peoples "issues"

Banded on 7/1/09,cool removed on 11/11... Switched on 2/5/13. Ticker includes 23lbs lost on preop diet...          

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 733 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1033 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 347 views