Identity Crisis

rachtrex
on 9/9/13 8:38 am - Pacific Pines, Australia

One of the things i didn't realise about having this surgery was an identity crisis after you start loosing weight you dont fit into the old comfort zone you were in before this was a real thing for me  it took me 9 month to loose 75 kilos  165  lbs  well i couldnt get my head around the fact that i looked so different people didnt recognise me and the overweight ones were not willing to accept me as my new self think they were jealous and i found it really along time about another year before i was even game enough to go to the small section of the clothing stall. Now Im ten years out  I usually buy the right size and it feels awesome not having to weae big momma clothes anymore and buy something with pitite on it. or small.  

Irishnurse
on 9/9/13 10:07 am
DS on 04/17/13

I think it is common and normal to have these thoughts. =)

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

PeteA
on 9/10/13 4:51 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It's unfortunate that people want to box you in like that. It makes it that much harder for us to wrap our own heads around the changes. I'm not near goal but I have lost enough to be in a different size for everything but I find it hard to wear the new sizes still more comfortable in the old stuff. Happily it is now too big for me to justify that even just to myself. Glad to hear you can make it to the "right" size for the new you. Congratulations. angry

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

jashley
on 9/10/13 6:58 am
DS on 12/19/12

I totally understand.  Since I lost 80 lbs, I feel 20 yrs younger.  I am much more mobile, want to get exercise and go for hikes.  Enjoy clothes shopping since I went from a 2X to a size 14.  I want to get out and live! 

While my best friends remain morbidly obese, can't go hiking, don't want to go shopping, don't want to do anything except go to a restaurant and buy food.   All of our meetups involved food.  I never noticed this before till I lost the weight and wanted to go do other things.

Couple this with the hormone surges we can get from burning through the fat – sometimes we are not the most rational people to hang around with. 

Recently I was speaking to some other women over 50 – and they all said that the older we get, the harder it is to find new friends.  They are not kidding.  It’s just really hard to find people to connect with on a deeper level the older we get.  That’s why women tend to look inward towards their kids and grandkids at this stage in life.

So yes, this surgery can be rather lonely as we morph into a beautiful butterfly.  Most of the time I am so very grateful for this surgery and the last 9 months.  Sometimes I cry as I leave certain things behind and move on with my life.

Irishnurse
on 9/10/13 1:47 pm
DS on 04/17/13

very well written Jashley

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

rachtrex
on 9/10/13 5:08 pm - Pacific Pines, Australia

yes Im over fifty but i havnt quite got to empty nest syndrome yet and i have a child in a wheelcahir  but i think you have to actually find some new places to be and be the new you  .I  joined a card club and it has been s new lifeline for me im planning some fancy holidays too .Your life does really revolve around food but i guess we never realize how  much when i was fat my mind was so screwed up i thought my portions were normal size lol   now  10 years out i can still throw up if i eat too much or if i go out for coffee and cake i always have to have my whole coffee first  then my cake becaue if i have it the other way im sick..i can eat 2 table spoons of pasta thats it  . but usually because i dont want to waste my stomach space i pick my most favourite thing to at .

thinlizzie12
on 9/10/13 1:49 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I totally get this. Stood there at my nursing scrub shop in which 9 months ago I was busting out of 2x's. I went in on monday And my brain could not registEr that small pants were actually baggy on me. I stood there for a good 5 minutes until i went out and tried on xtra smalls. They fit. My brain just isn't yet.

meq815
on 9/12/13 9:47 pm - PA

xs!!!!!!  That's incredible!  I, too, was constricted in the 2x, and I am just thrilled to buy Ls!  Congrats!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 320 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views