ketosis confusion

rosegirlds
on 9/13/13 3:50 am - IL
I am so confused. Do I wan't ketosis or want to avoid it? Some people talk about it as if it is good and some as if it is bad. In the end, hour many carbs should I be consuming? I an about 7 weeks out and struggle to get the protien in. Also, do I count both simple and complex carbs when I count them?
Member Services
on 9/13/13 5:03 am - Irvine, CA

Hello,

We did a search for DS and Ketosis and found several thread discussing this issue.  We hope this helps you.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=DS%2C+ ketosis&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A9

MajorMom
on 9/13/13 6:43 am - VA

I wanted ketosis to assure myself I was in losing mode, but I'm a bit of a control freak that way.  You just want to drink lots and lots of water to clear the little ketone buggers out of your system as quick as you can. 

Eat or drink your protein first and IF you have room eat something green. I counted all carbs but adjusted them to net carbs by subtracting fiber and sugar alcohols. You want to keep your net carbs under 50 grams...but count all carbs.

Hang tough!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 9/13/13 7:33 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It can be confusing. I shoot for under 50 carbs a day while I work toward my goal weight. I don't check if that
leaves me in ketosis or not. At 5 months I am just starting to have some room for carbs after getting in 100 - 110
grams of protein and liquids.

Some people have issues when they are in ketosis so they try and find the balance between low carbs
and pushing their bodies into ketosis. Mostly all I have seen is uncontrollable bad breath. One person that I 
saw started feeling sick but that is a pretty rare exception and she may have had a problem beforehand..

As long as you are feeling good and getting all your liquids ketosis might be your fastest weight loss. Frankly,
I think early on it really doesn't matter.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

PattyL
on 9/13/13 8:50 am

Ketosis is a good thing.  Remember the fast weight loss period is limited and the ketosis won't last either.  Embrace it.  Generally speaking, the only good carb is the one you don't eat.  Yeah I know all about the debates on how many per day.  My best advice to everyone is reach goal...then start figuring out what you can eat at the carbfest.  Till you reach goal, avoid them.

There are 2 different DSes and there's no way to know which one you will get.  DS #1 loses like crazy and flies down to goal easily.  Carbs don't seem to bother them at all.  Sometimes these folks get a rude awakening down the road when they start gaining and others don't.  DS #2 is a different animal.  Most easily lose about half of their excess weight.  Then every pound is a battle.  Most never reach a normal BMI.  Yes, we are better off than we were but we sure didn't get the outstanding results of DS #1.  I got the #2 DS(pun intended).  I lost exactly 53lbs in the first few months after surgery.  Then it stopped completely.  The only way I was able to lose more was extreme low carb(less than 10/day) for 28 days per month followed by a 2 day carb feast to shake up my dead metabolism.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  And I still never made it down to a normal BMI.  Even after I added running into the mix.

All I'm saying is get the most out of your DS.

jashley
on 9/13/13 2:24 pm, edited 9/13/13 2:32 pm
DS on 12/19/12

Ditto on what Patty said.  A lot of us got DS #2.

I lost 70 lbs in 6 months.  Then it stopped.  I've had to fight to lose 10 lbs in the last 3 months.  The weight loss has stopped when I am 30 lbs from goal - and I am eating 1200 calories (under 50 carbs). 

1200 calories means I am absorbing about 700 calories a day - and I'm still 30 lbs from goal! 

So get into ketosis and focus on the weight loss.  Lose as much weight as you can, because you will gain back 10 to 20 lbs in 2 years as your body adjusts to the surgery. 

Drink lots of water.  Eat protein first, fats second.  Veggies 3rd, carbs - don't.  Just don't.  Work it as if this was your one last chance to get the weight off, cause later on it doesn't have the same magic it had in the beginning.

Valerie G.
on 9/14/13 1:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Ketosis is good - it means that your body is burning your fat stores for fuel because you're not consuming enough instant fuel (carbs).  

Ketoacidosis is bad - and is often confused as ketosis.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 357 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 815 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views