No loss in 3 wks

hayley88
on 9/19/13 12:47 am
So how do you get past a stall? I've been loosing slowly but for the last 3 wks it's not moved. I've had a long journey and still am at the stage of can meats and protein drinks. I'm not able to eat much at all so I know my intake is low and sometimes I can only do one or two protein drinks. Also Prilosec seems to upset my stomach. Is there anything I can take in it's place?
meq815
on 9/19/13 1:44 am - PA

When was your surgery?  Sounds like you may be in starvation mode, and need more intake.  I'm surprised to hear that Prilosec upsets your stomach.  if you're not getting enough fluids, dehydration can cause nausea.  Is your Prilosec OTC?  Or rx?  If you're just taking it on your own OTC, you can try another OTC, such as Zantac or Pepcid.  If it is rx, i would refer you back to your surgeon for another option.

hayley88
on 9/19/13 2:14 am
Yeah I do think my body is in starvation mode. Any recommendations for protein powder? I had revision to ds in may with lots of issues. I started liquid diet at the end of July after 2 months in hospital. I'm just now trying to eat protein. I just don't know how to kick start the loss again. I have lost 106lbs so far.
S Andrews
on 9/19/13 2:32 am - eatonville, WA

You have had a tremendous loss in a very short period of time- especially for a revision. I had my surgery in March and have lost 70lbs and consider myself an average loser. I have had several stalls myself but have come to realize our bodies need time to readjust to those weight losses. Just when I think I'm not going to lose I drop another 5lbs. I think sometimes we think because we have had this great surgery that the weight should just drop off without giving our bodies time to  shift and regroup. It will come. Be patient. Let your body do what it needs to do. I agree that maybe you need to shake it up by adding a little more protein or just add a few more calories to keep your body guessing. There are a lot of veterans on here who have great advise and know how to shake it up. Maybe they will chime in and share their ideas and experiences. Thats where I get a lot of wonderful advice.

Glad you are feeling better- sounds like you had a few big issues with your surgery.

Sharon

Corbin Y.
on 9/19/13 2:33 am - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

Hayley, do certain protein drinks bother you more than others?  I found I was sensitive to the artificial sweeteners in most of the protein drinks after surgery, not before.  The only thing I can use to this day is unflavored egg protein powder.  JRobb's unflavored egg protein is pure.   I then flavor it with Sweet Leaf sweetener, which is a Stevia product with none of the artificial stuff in it.  Sweet Leaf makes flavored tinctures, and I'll use a chocolate raspberry tincture with a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder in my shakes.  I mix with ice, some liquid probiotics, and almond milk.

Some other soft proteins that should work well - try hummus, creamy peanut butter, cream cheese, egg salad, whitefish salad, anything that is smooth and creamy.  Don't be afraid to add extra oil or mayo.  If something is not smooth, use a blender or food processor, and puree the heck out of it.

hayley88
on 9/19/13 2:57 am
I've been drinking premier protein drinks. They just seem so heavy after a few sips. I just drink slowly. I do have trouble trying to figure out things to eat. I've not had egg salad. Think I'll make some today. I didn't know I could do peanut butter. I'll try that. I just want to try and do the right things so I can get my energy level up and feel nosl again. I still have low energy and usually get worn out by the end of the day. I'm thankful though for the loss I have had. It has been tough with all my complications, I guess I just need to stop worrying and just try to eat right.
jashley
on 9/19/13 1:05 pm
DS on 12/19/12

The Premier protein drinks from Costco do have some kind of thickening agent in them.  I also feel really full after one of those.  They still don't sit right for me.

Try drinking ISO Pure, or Champion.  They have tons of different flavors to choose from and are high quality protein powders.

PeteA
on 9/19/13 5:47 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I found the premier protein drinks too thick for my taste. I now take Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard mixed in a shaker cup with water. I just like a thinner drink even if it isn't as tasty as a milk shake.

If your feeling adventurous you might get samples from VitaLady of different protein powders. It gave me some ides for the future. I've also heard that some vitamin stores like GNC may give out some samples but I haven't tried that myself. 

I'm two weeks into a stall. Even though it bothers me I keep working the DS. I did have a high carb day to try and fake out my body. Aside from some extra bathroom time it didn't provide the miracle I was hoping for. :) Keep the chin up. You have done amazingly well. Sounds like you had a rough time but better days ahead.

Try and branch out on food, eggs are a good choice. I find I can eat more egg salad than anything else. Something to do with the texture maybe.

Bacon too if you like bacon.

Hydrate, vites, work on your protein. I'm sure you will start losing again.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Irishnurse
on 9/19/13 9:10 am
DS on 04/17/13

Time to eat a Krispy Kreme Donut and break your stall. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

jashley
on 9/19/13 1:09 pm
DS on 12/19/12

OMG Irish!  She has lots of complications and is just getting onto her feet.  That donut will blow out the back end for sure.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1082 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1258 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 512 views