VSG to DS-lots of questions

Kelly L.
on 10/17/13 5:57 am

Hello All,

I am writing to see if there are any VSG to DS revisions on the board, and how they are doing?   I am 2 yrs out from VSG and still not at goal.   I've gone stricter recently to see if I can get the scales to move  in the right direction, but I am such a slow loser, I think  I may need the malabsorbtion part.   I don't think I am interested in resleeving, mine still has a lot of restriction.   I was diabetic pre-surgery.   I think my Diabetes is back, or I am at least insulin resistant, even though it seemed to be cured in the beginning.   I am going to have all my labs done to see where I stand.   But I never lost that much post-op, maybe because I lost  a lot of mine before I had the Sleeve done.

My questions are if you've had a revision and if you're happy with it?   Any problems or regrets?   Did your insurance cover it?  I don't have insurance and had my  sleeve done with Dr Kelly in Mexico, is there any Docs in MX doing just the second part of the DS?

Thanks for any responses you have.   I did research the DS a lot and came close to getting it instead, but was concerned about long term issues, IBS, high # of vitamins, etc.    I don't regret my sleeve,  it's helping me a lot.   I just want to reach goal.

Kelly

MajorMom
on 10/17/13 6:59 am - VA

Welcome! I think there are a few VSG to DS revision folks. Hang on. 

Have you had a chance to read some of the info on www.dsfacts.com?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

nicholivolkoff
on 10/17/13 8:00 am - Canada

I did it, after my sleeve stretched out and I had regain. I had the DS part without a resleeve, AND HAVE NOT LOST ONE POUND in about 6 months since the surgery. Get resleeved if you do the DS, it is the powerhouse behind the whole surgery, at least for me anyway. I have a 100 cm common channel and weigh 185 pounds. Which was what I weighed day of surgery. No I don't sip on milkshakes all day either. I thought my sleeve was still tight enough too, it wasn't. GOOD LUCK.

Kelly L.
on 10/17/13 8:09 am

Thank you both for your responses.   Thanks for the DSFacts website.   

I am sorry you have  not had a good experience with your revision, it's a shame we have to deal with this after having a WLS.   I am just confused about it too, I still can only eat like 6 shrimp or 5-6 oz of meat.   No major snacking or candy cakes, etc.   I think there's something else going on, so I am going to have everything checked again.   A1C, Thyroid, Hormones.   I am 49 yrs old, and I know after 40 it gets harder, but this is ridiculous.   It's also very disappointing, but I am trying to not get into that "giving up" mode.   Although I probably did for a while and my eating wasn't as strict.   The restriction is still working.   I am low carbing and trying harder.   Don't give up, try to find out if something else is going on.

Kelly

hollykim
on 10/17/13 9:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I converted to a switch in March of this year after being sleeved for 3 years. I lost 98# and just couldn't lose any more despite being strictly on program i was going to have a hernia repaired in MX anyway s decided not to waste the anesthesia event and trip to MX on the two staples it took to fix the hernia.

I m also a slow loser. My labs are good and I don't think there's anything wrong with me. I think years o yo-yo dieting have just ruined my metabolism.
Since March,I have lost an additional 15 #. I am seeing that ,as with the VSG alone,I MUST stay, away from all carbs,even dairy. I am so carb sensitive,that even the milk sugar will cause me to stall/ hold water.
As long as I am strictly lean protein, healthy fats,and non carby green vegetables,I will lose. My DS keeps me from gaining,Too,if I am off plan. For that reason alone,I am glad I had it.

Do I wish I was dropping weight like flies? Yes,but. I only have 35# to go to reach goal. I still have restriction in my sleeve too.

There are many surgeons in MX who will convert VSGs on to a switch. If they can do a sleeve alone and a full DS, then they can do them one at a time as well. The MX surgeons are more willing to convert someone with a reasonably still high BMI on to a switch so they can reach goal. I do wonder if they are more conservative with the cc length and such since we don't have as much to lose after a few years with another Wls.

I have had no problems with my conversion. I was already taking a lot of vitamins with the VSG and hopefully you are also. Adding a few more was no biggie to me. It is an excellent trade off to me.
De ponce de Leon did my switch. I was like you...after all was said and done,I knew I wasn't gong to be satisfied till I reached goal and was certainly out of the obese BMI category. I won't settle for anything else.

Truthfully,if I could have strayed away from all carbs this last 8 months,I would be at goal. I am addicted to sugar and Dr. Ponc's pre op diet is yogurt! Gah! Full of sugar. So that Got me off on the wrong foot and I am just getting that under control after a long struggle. In hindsight,I
Think I should have used protein drinks and a lean and green meal like my pre op for my VSG. But I didn't so there you have it.
GL
I
celticfaery
on 10/18/13 4:48 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

Hi Kelly -

I was sleeved in 2007.  Lost 189 and regained 117.  Highest weight was 425 and I got down to 236 with the sleeve.

After my regain, I decided to add the DS.  I did NOT get re-sleeved.  I had good restriction with my sleeve, but could definitely eat much more than I could early out.  I just made a year from adding the DS and I've lost 116 of the 117 I regained. 

The DS diet is MUCH different than the sleeve diet.  You need LOTS of protein and LOTS of fat.  Everything else is just a waste of space.  Most of the sleeve to DSer revision people I know are revising at lower weights.  Lightweights will naturally lose slower and because of the malabsorption it is easy to push your body into starvation mode and not lose.  You have to find the right combination of foods, fat, protein, calories that will encourage your weight loss.  I'm still learning!!!

I am extremely happy so far!  Only regret is that I waited so long to do it.  My insurance covered the sleeve and the DS revision.  Not sure about any doctors in MX.  I have had no complications or negative side effects from the DS.  I know sleevesters that take more vitamins than I do and I take about 40 vitamins a day (most are just multiple doses of the same pill, though).  I became iron deficient and my vitamin D was in the crapper long before the DS...  so now I'm just trying to play catch-up.

For me to lose with the sleeve, I had to eat less than 1000 calories a day and exercise like crazy at least 4 times a week.  With the DS, I have to eat at least 3000 calories a day, 250g of fat and 200g of protein...  I walk around the block a few times a week and I have a mini trampoline I bounce on...  5-10 minutes at a time 2-3 times a week.  =)  Just a comparison.

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

Kelly L.
on 10/18/13 5:01 am
Thank you CelticFairy, I remember you from when I was a lurker and researching and on the VSG board. I saw a mini trampoline yesterday at Walmart and thought hmmm, but I do have back problems.
That's a lot of protein! I struggle now to get in 60-80 but am doing better and trying to find a variety to keep from being bored.
I have a lot to think about, so as I research more, I will just try to stay focused and disciplined with the carbs. Thanks!
Kelly
celticfaery
on 10/18/13 5:24 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

LOL!  Yeah...  I've been around for FOREVER! 

I have 2 herniated disks...  L4 and L5.  No problems bouncing.  =)

Just keep at it!!  Keep researching and find what will work best for you! 

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

Kelly L.
on 10/18/13 5:43 am
Sorry about your back! Maybe because the trampoline gives, its low impact. I will price them later today. I have lower lumbar deformities, scoliosis, and a tilted hip. But I need to add some movement. Thanks again for sharing your story! .)
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 326 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 785 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 262 views