3 Weeks Out - Feeling Very Sick (Still)

fractalfrolic
on 8/11/14 3:39 pm

I'm trying to be patient with my recovery, but every day since surgery has been a trial.

No matter what I eat or don't eat, drink or don't drink, I'm left feeling very sick. Nausea. Heartburn. Indigestion. Gas. Upset Stomach... 
I feel like I should have an IV of Pepto or something.

I've only thrown up twice since my surgery and once was just bile and foam. I'm following orders to the best of my ability, but finding it difficult. 
I haven't been able to take my vits yet, and I fear I'm digging myself a hole. 

I've also been struggling with this terrible depression. I think that's probably exacerbated by feeling so physically gross all the time.

It feels like it will never end. Like I'm going to feel sick forever. I want to believe it'll get better but...

Irishnurse
on 8/12/14 12:43 am
DS on 04/17/13

You need to be on a PPI such as Nexium or Protonix. Your surgeon needs to know what you are going through and prescribe it for you. You can also get it over the counter if you do not want to call him. Take as prescribed. Sounds like GERD. Not uncommon. Most of us go home on a PPI. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

PattyL
on 8/12/14 4:58 am

What are you taking?  You need to contact your surgeon's office and change meds.

What are you eating?  Change that too!  Are you hydrated?  Drinking gatorade?

JazzyOne9254
on 8/12/14 7:43 am

I went through much the same thing as you are for the first six weeks post -op.

Ordinarily, the body has enough reserves to deal with the vitamin issue.  Besides, you will likely have to work up to getting them all in, since your sleeve, if it is like mine was, will only hold about three ounces at a time. Not a lot of room in there.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

fractalfrolic
on 8/12/14 8:30 am

I was prescribed Prilosec, but the capsules are so large I haven't been able to get them down. 
Before surgery I could swallow whole handfuls of pills with a glass of water, but now I can't handle drinking the amount of water I need to get even one pill down.

K P.
on 8/12/14 9:07 am
DS on 07/08/14

I take prescription prilosec. Are yours capsules with little beads in them (mine are)? I take the capsule apart and swallow the beads - per Drs orders. All my other meds I had to crush, although I found dissolving mine in a few drops of water worked best for me. And then I took them woth Apple juice.

Oh, and I see your having water issues. Have you tried other liquids? For me the magic combination was diluted apple juice. 50/50 apple & water. I was never a big juice drinker before but that saved me and is probably the only way I made it out of the hospital after 1 night. (They make you stay until you drink so much). Still one month out I have a hard time with the taste of plain water. I can do ice cold but anything beyond that is iffy. So try different liquids, you may be surprised :) 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

fractalfrolic
on 8/13/14 2:33 am

I tried removing the beads from the capsule. I got them to go down... But vomitted them back up within a few minutes.

Holdenwhat
on 8/12/14 9:48 am

Hi- just wanted to share what worked for me. My surgeon (Dr Rabkin) had me on Prilosec for 3 months. He said that in his experience that if he keeps his patients on it for three months that they rarely have trouble with reflux. And he prescribes compazine for everyone when they go home because we do get nauseous at first. He also said to hold off on taking iron for the first few weeks until nausea calms down. He was exactly right. Maybe you could speak with your surgeon to get something for nausea as well- it sure helped me (I'm 5 months out). Best of luck to you. 

Susan D.
on 8/14/14 3:18 am - Topeka, KS
DS on 07/31/14

I am so sorry you are still feeling so sick. I am praying for you and sending you good thoughts. I know the gas was so bad, I called my surgeon's office and he prescribed Prilosec for me. I hope you make sure you take care of yourself and don't beat yourself up. I also had the diluted Apple juice help me as well. I hope you find some relief soon.

Susan

Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 17 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 17 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1092 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1268 views
Need help for my mom