Sort of new to the boards.

PeteA
on 1/21/15 12:19 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

The search function is only obvious after the first time.   Look for the magnifying glass at the top of the page on the right half just to the left of the MY OH dropdown and click on that. One of the drawbacks of trying to avoid actual words is that it takes awhile for people to figure out the icons.   

I had the standard DS and I am pretty happy with it. The issue between the Doctor and the secretary using different terminology just points out the importance of exploring it with him. She may have made a bad assumption or he might just have gotten lazy on the terminology. Or he might have thought it was too early in the process to confuse the issue by talking about different types of DS operations. No way to know at this point but since there aren't that many SADI people yet you can see how someone might end up thinking they were getting a standard DS and instead got a variation.

I don't have a very good feel/preference for one over the other. It wasn't an option for me and I think at my surgery weight the standard DS would have been a better choice anyway since most of the variations seem to be trying to lessen the malabsorption.

Valerie G.
on 1/20/15 6:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I, too, have issues with his suggesting two surgeries for the DS, and my hinky-meter is going off wondering if he does it at all (I've not heard of him).  If your scar tissue is a problem, then I would expect the sleeve to be a challenge, and not the intestinal part.  A good DS surgeon wouldn't use the robot as a hinderance, but instead state that if there's much to do - they reserve the right to open you up and get both eyes and hands involved. 

I highly recommend checking out Dr. Margaret Inman in Indianapolis before proceeding with Dr. Cooper.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MamaShelia
on 1/20/15 10:19 am

Yvonne, 

I have nothing new to add--I ditto everything that has already been said.  

What I have found out this time around, and what I think I did not do the first time, is become my own biggest advocate! I have always looked for skill and rapport with my doctors and had no trouble leaving them and finding others; however, when weight loss is concerned  I think as "phat folks" we think so much more with our emotions than with our brains! 

I encourage you to ask and ask, remembering there is no such thing as a dumb question, and then ask some more. Also, I definitely encourage you to do your homework on this site and others, and then ask even more questions---and make sure the answers that should sound right--procedures, science, and insurance--are adding up!

Good luck to you!

And I am SO po-dunk right there with ya! 

Shelia

maxsmom77
on 1/20/15 11:50 am - Poe-dunk Southern, IN

I want to preface this with I really know how important it is to have an expert do the surgery. I think my surgeon will be awesome with the surgery. But Dr. Inman is over 2 hrs away. I had my lapband and her hospital and loved the hospital, but it was a problem to get there for fills and aftercare and support group.  I am a 49 yr old full time college student that starts graduate school next year.  My life is about as complicated and exhausting as I can take.  I'm studying to be a therapist, so I know how important group therapy can be.  I wasn't nearly as busy as I am now and I made it to one support group. So here's me weighing all the different cir****tances and seeing what fits us best. You know?   I love that people are so generous and show such concern for me though. Thank you.

Yvonne

Valerie G.
on 1/21/15 7:50 am, edited 1/21/15 7:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Two surgeries, two copays,  two sets of risks, and two periods of recovery are way more inconveient than a 2 hour drive, and your PCP can manage your labs after your first few months.  I've been around the DS boards for 9 years and have never heard of this guy....but you have to decide this yourself.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

maxsmom77
on 1/21/15 8:45 am - Poe-dunk Southern, IN

You may have missed where I said he overall will let me decide. He's talking about trouble with taking out my band as well (I've had it 10 years and there is likely a  LOT of scar tissue and such to clean up).  Even his nurse told me the other night at the support meeting, to just tell him I only want it in one procedure.  You and I know there is a LOT more driving than just a few times. I still have psych appointment, dietician meetings, and support groups would be pretty much out. Plus, what if there is a problem. That could be all kinds of multiple driving. But again, I agree with you. Yeah, I have a pretty hefty co-pay and I don't want two major surgeries like that, when it can be done at once, most likely.  He is actually one of the 1st doctors that was supportive/pushing for it, of doing bariatrics laparoscopically, he wrote the video textbooks for Johnson & Johnson for the surgeries (the animated videos of what happens during the surgeries, etc), so he's been around.  But we do live in a small town in the midwest, which means he's probably not as well known as some of these in large cities that see a LOT of people. I've heard of some docs doing a lot of surgeries that aren't so good as well. So we have to weigh it all. I'm not sure I'd even agree to the 2 surgeries, pretty sure I won't.  I'd rather him take the band out. Wait for healing and then go back and do it all at once. That is two surgeries, but it's within one co-pay and the band won't be super complicated, at least not like the Sleeve/DS.

Yvonne

more2adore
on 1/21/15 11:35 am
VSG on 03/28/15

I doubt she missed that. There are a lot of unscrupulous docs out there who will SAY they will do it in one part and then, conveniently, decide during surgery when you're passed out that they're going to do it in two instead. They make double the money this way. Unfortunately it happens quite frequently - search "bait and don't switch" on this forum and you'll find a lot of responses. The reason you're being warned against this doc is that, while he MAY not be one of these "bait and don't switch" surgeons, there's always a small chance he could be - which is one of the reasons it's so much better to use DS surgeons who are well known as successful, above-board DS providers by the vets here like Valerie. 

Two hours is nothing - many people travel out of state or even out of country to use one of the best DS surgeons. I myself am traveling 8 hours to go to the only vetted DS surgeon on my country. There are dieticians, psychologists, and support groups in EVERY area - you don't have to go to ones in the same area as your surgeon. If they require you to see a specific psychologist or dietician, either set up a Skype/phone call appointment with them (many will do that these days) or schedule your appointments with them on the same day as an appointment you have with your surgeon and knock them all out in one day. There are ways to be smart about it. Follow-up can be done by another bariatric doctor - doesn't have to be your surgeon - and labs, etc. can be ordered by your GP. Oftentimes surgeons are terrible at giving good advice in after care, anyway. 

Don't let a two-hour trip stand between you and getting the BEST and SAFEST surgery. 

maxsmom77
on 1/23/15 6:34 am - Poe-dunk Southern, IN

Who's to say my surgeon will not be the best and safest?  I feel like people are trying to talk me out of him, when no one even knows him. I will insist on one surgery. He's not going to go against what I've told him and I know how to pick up a telephone and call an attorney if he does. It's pretty simple. I've met several people online that used him and they LOVE him and he accommodated what they asked for, one being a ONE time surgery.  So I'm good! :)

K P.
on 1/24/15 3:50 am
DS on 07/08/14

There are a few of us here who haven't used surgeons on DSfact.com, or used surgeons other vets have heard of. I think I read the other day that dsfacts.com the doctors can add themselves now. 

I know my surgeon was amazing. He has tons of experience in the military, and even started a bariatrics surgery program in New York before coming to the PNW. He doesn't do many DS surgery's because the RNY seems to be what everyone wants. I had a BMI of 42 (I think) which he said is on the lower end for DS for him, but we spent a lot of time talking over why I wanted this procedure, and about how I need to be compliant with meds, etc. I was happy to use him, and trust what he did. 

As long as you are comfortable with your surgeon, and you are well informed - then use him! Only you can make this decision. 

Best of luck and congratulations on this step in the journey.

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

chevtow41
on 1/23/15 6:45 am
DS on 11/11/14

A 2hr drive is nothing, especially to have a prominent DS surgeon. You don't have to go in for fills and really after a few visits you can just see your PCP for everything. Only thing could be if you NEED support group, but you can always use online forums such as this for support. As for me the doc you are seeing now sounds like perhaps he isn't comfortable doing a one part DS and is trying to "inform" you enough that you change your mind. See Dr. Inmam

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views