13 years Surgiversary

Valerie G.
on 11/1/18 9:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Surgiversary post!
13 years ago, I got my virgin (open) DS. It's been a wild ride with an incredible learning curve, but thankfully for you all today, a group such as this exists to keep us all healthy. Back when I got mine, we had only what our misguided surgeons told us to keep healthy and after we noticed we were having similar challenges, especially with A and D, we started comparing notes and now we share with everyone. It started here on OH, but has since migrated to other formats of social media.

My highest weight was 286, which is probably where I was on my before photo. It was so devastating to see this photo come up many years ago. I lost all the way to 139 (for about 3 seconds). I settled in the 140's for a couple years and then gained 10, then another 10. Today I'm ranging between 155 and 165 (size 10) with no effort at all and I don't sweat this little bit of gain. I'm done fighting my weight and refuse to obsess. I had a hernia in my 2nd year post op due to me being stubborn about lifting a soaking wet bag of topsoil and not waiting for assistance.

I eat protein forward (lots of cheese), but enjoy many taboo snacks with mindful attention not to go crazy on them. Even as I was losing, I counted protein and fluids, not carbs. Who had room for them after eating protein? I would always save a bite or two for whatever I wanted as I was losing, knowing that deprivation played bad games with my head. Allowing that indulgence when nearly full left me happy to have a treat, but full enough not to get into trouble.

Nobody would guess I had wls at all to watch me eat. I just eat like a thin person, leaving a little behind on my plate when my body tells me I'm full. I have learned not to push myself beyond that wall. I also eat often, every couple of hours, nibbling on something. I am a diet coke and iced tea addict. I know not good practices for the noobs, but I'm being transparent and I feel wonderful.

I'm still not much of a photo ***** but I did grab this pic to show my friend my new pixie cut this summer.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 11/1/18 1:30 pm

Congratulations!!!

Noodle65
on 11/1/18 10:09 pm
DS on 10/18/12

A true inspiration.

I am only 6 years out but my eating philosophy is much like yours.

Thank you for sharing

Janet P.
on 11/2/18 8:50 am

Hey Val - happy surgerversary. You look great. You don't mention labs, so I'm assume everything is going well - that you take all your supplements and don't have any underlying issues.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 11/3/18 9:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Labs are predictable. I skate a few years fine, the my A and D start to dip so I double up for a while. I did learn with zinc that the test isn't always accurate. I am always low, but add one more dose and I go toxic on zinc. I break out in a rash, shortness of breath and fainting.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/18 5:03 pm
* Nicole *
on 11/2/18 5:45 pm

Congrats Val!

Most days I forget I had surgery myself, including my own 13 year mark in Aug, lol.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

MargaretMary
on 11/4/18 8:38 am

I haven't been here for many years. Obesityhelp was my go-to site when I first had my DS surgery. I'm 10 years out. I remember you so very well as a very special caring and helpful teacher to us that had a lot to learn. You were a wonderful support to most of us. I want to THANK YOU for all your help as I learned to work my DS! It is great to hear of your success and happiness in your life. I'm sure that I speak for many of us that have drifted away from this site for a multitude of reasons. Always know that you are appreciated and have a place in our memories and in our hearts!!

PeteA
on 11/5/18 7:51 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Thanks for the update. You are a "poster child" for how to sustain and that is as important as the beginning weight loss. Congratulations!!!!

Crazeru
on 11/27/18 2:36 pm

Happy 13th Surgiversary!

Thanks for all your support over the years.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views