Constipation

Tanya B.
on 3/15/19 2:38 am - Philadelphia, PA

So I am 11 yrs post op and decided recently to go back to basics after a 30 lb weight regain. I keep a food log and aim for 100 for of protein per day and limit my net carbs to 20-30 per day. I get about 32-40 oz of water a day and am trying to increase that number.

My issue is that for the first time since my surgery I am experiencing constipation. Before lowering my carbs I was super regular. 3-4 times a day. Now I struggle to go once a day. I have gone 3-4 days without pooping. This has me very worried. I take colace every day now. And I was told to try MCT oil. Your thoughts?

Tanya B.
SUCCESS IS ONLY A STEP AWAY

Janet P.
on 3/15/19 7:09 am

Tanya - has this only been since you decided to go back to basics or did it start before? IMHO, you're not drinking nearly enough water. You should get a MINIMUM of 64 ounces of water a day. Is this new or has this been your water consumption for the last 11 years?

How's your fat intake? That could be a major cause of constipation - you need fat to keep things moving along. No lean proteins - go full fat. 100 grams of protein should be the minimum amount.

Add fiber to your diet - I add one scoop of organic fiber to my drink in the morning when I take my vitamins.

Have you changed your vitamins at all? Added iron? Upped your calcium?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Tanya B.
on 3/15/19 3:56 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Thank you for replying Janet. My fat intake varies. 70-150 gr a day over the last 2 weeks.

My water intake has been pretty consistent. I never get 64 in.

My vitamin regimen was increased about 6 months ago. And I have tolerated it well. My labs are excellent.

I was told about adding Magnesium and someone else suggested MCT oil.

Tanya B.
SUCCESS IS ONLY A STEP AWAY

Valerie G.
on 3/25/19 6:34 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Fat and hydration are the keys to avoiding constipation. Adding MCT oil is adding fat. You can probably do that with food just the same. I can get in 64 oz before lunch, and I'm working on my second 64oz. Everything wet counts in my book, so not jus****er.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sunshine16
on 4/23/19 5:58 am

How do you add MCT fat, how do you use it?

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Sunshine16
on 4/23/19 6:04 am, edited 4/22/19 11:11 pm

Tanya, thanks for posting this....this morning I have been experiencing the exact same issuse over the weekend since I have not consumed my normal 100 oz's of water, even when I do 60 oz I'm good..no real volume of water over the weekend. I am also working on getting this weight off me. Come June it would be 9 years since my sugary and I need to get 20 pounds off me. So I have been limiting my carbs.

Plus it does not help,me taking iron pills.

Also, I add the Hawaiian punch to my drinks to give it some taste...its hard just drinking water, or you can add lemon.

By the way, how is your weight loss journey been ? Have you lost weight? How long have you been on this weight loss journey?

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views