Ridiculous Misconceptions after WLS

beelzebubbles
on 9/18/19 5:31 am - Lansdowne, PA

I thought I would get skinny but I only got down to 200 lbs. I stopped losing weight about 14 months after surgery. Oh well! I mostly have stayed away from diets cause they cause me to binge.

People treat you better the thinner you are that is no misconception.

I also thought I would become more attractive but my face got old looking due to sagging skin.

I didn't really have a lot of misconceptions except those two.

I was just happy to get most of the weight off.

Woohoo!

Noodle65
on 9/18/19 4:44 pm
DS on 10/18/12

I foolishly believed WLS would resolve ALL of my health issues. But ironically enough, just five months after my DS (caught by my follow up labs) I was diagnosed with a VERY aggressive acute Myloid leukemia (AML).

Once diagnosed, I spent over a year recieving the strongest chemo given to humans with my oncologists very perplexed on how to deal with my DS. Through Devine intervention, a PA from my surgeons office also worked at my oncologist's dedicated bone marrow transplant floor. She was able to explain the DS to my team.

Additionally, I was forbidden from losing weight during my year of treatment. In October I'll be 7 years out, I've been deemed cured of AML, by the grace of almighty God, I maintain a 100 pound weightloss with little to no attention to my diet. Other than always getting my protein and vitamins in.

I am also fighting severe osteoporosis. Now, whether this was caused by the DS, chemo, abrupt menopause at 49, 9 months of calcium taking neglect is unknown. The great news is Fortero has resolved the osteoporosis in my spine and im praying it does the same in my hips.

So I guess you could say, my DS did resolve ALL my health issues, in a very wierd way.

Blessings

Julie

PeteA
on 9/27/19 6:06 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Number one is funny to me because I still think that if I ate anything that day that would lead me to gas laying down always gets it started. Just ask my poor suffering dog. :)

I did have some thought about women knocking on my door but of course I wasn't outgoing before the surgery and didn't change after it but at 61 I'm OK with it.

These are all pretty good. I mostly just wanted to be healthier and be able to be more mobile and that worked out for me so I think I had very few misconceptions, mostly because my goals were pretty narrow.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Valerie G.
on 9/29/19 10:26 am, edited 9/29/19 3:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

1) I thought my boobs couldn't get any saggier. I was wrong. After nearly 14 years since my DS, I'm even "wronger"...because dayum!

2) I thought I wouldn't change after I lost my weight. I did change. My confidence went through the roof and caught the attention of others. I also became a ***** according to some. I used to say I had ADD (acquired doormat disorder), but I lost the need to please others at my own expense and started saying no a lot more. some users didn't appreciate that one bit.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 326 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 785 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 262 views