Dr. Oakley Patients HELP!

LWeyerts
on 1/26/09 2:59 pm - Weippe, ID
I am just starting the process and don't have my first appointment with Oakley until the 25th of Feb. I am leaning towards the DS my BMI is 63. I am on medicaid and hopefully won't have trouble having the surgery approved. My question is as anyone had problems having him do the DS over the RNY? Or is he really into doing the RNY?  Thanks I also want to start a pre surgery diet on my own any advice? that way I am down some maybe it will get the ball rolling faster.
Sarah T.
on 1/28/09 8:47 am - twin falls, ID
Hey! I just had the DS done by Dr. Oakley 3 weeks ago.  He will do it but you have to tell him you want it.  He really would rather do the RNY.  I had medicaid also and everything went through fairly easy.  The ladies at his office are wonderful and help alot when it comes to insurance problems.  So just stand your ground!  I told him I wanted the DS and had information why I didn't want the RNY.  As for the diet I didn't have to be on one so I have no ideas for you.  Just be ready to eat lots and lots of protein!!
You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.

LWeyerts
on 1/28/09 9:03 am - Weippe, ID
Thank You! You have been a great help.  How long did you have to wait for your surgey? I have a history of ulcers is one reason I choose the DS. My BMI is pretty high so I was hoping that he would let me choose the DS.  So you didn't have to do a pre surgery diet? I like protein so that is no problem. Anything else you think would help let me know.. Thanks Again
Sarah T.
on 1/30/09 5:13 am - twin falls, ID
No I didn't have to have the diet.  But with medicaid they require you to go see a dietician and have a psychiatric evaluation before surgery.  I tried to get all that done before I went to see him.  If you have had to take any type of anti-depressants they will question that also.  I started the whole process in July and just had surgery on Jan. 5th.  I might have been able to schedule it in November but I am a student so I had to wait for the semester to be over.  Other than that I would say make sure you are fully prepared and have done all your research.  It is a lot harder than I thought it would be!  You will have to take lots of vitamins and supplements so start now so your body gets used to it!

LWeyerts
on 2/4/09 3:31 pm - Weippe, ID
Where do you go to get your Physc. appointment and dietitian appointment. Does the dr arrange that. I live in a small comunity so we don't really have that option. I have been on antidepression meds but a very low dose.  Most of the depression is weight relaited. Thank you for all your help. Lisa
zkrmom
on 2/12/09 7:29 am - Twin Falls, ID
Sarah T.
on 2/12/09 7:31 am - twin falls, ID

I actually did both appointments in Boise.  I went to Jen Hoosier (not sure if I spelled that right) to have my dietary evaluation.  She is actually out of St. Lukes in Boise.  For the psych evaluation I just looked up some places in Boise and eventually found one to go to.  If you call Dr. Oakleys office they should be able to help you find places to go.  They do not set up the appointments for you.  But I am sure they would be able to get  you the information.

Most Active