Barix Clinic in Michigan

browneyes65
on 5/8/13 4:11 pm - IN

Has anyone had Jon Schram their surgeon ? does he accept medicaid and medicare? My friend had him and said he was the best ever surgeon and wants me to go to him. So I thought maybe someone might know or tried there before.

JazzyOne9254
on 7/17/13 6:03 am, edited 7/17/13 6:17 am

browneyes65-

If you want permanent weight loss, without restrictive dieting, the Duodenal Switch is the way to go.  That's what I had at St. Vincent's in Carmel 4 and a half years ago.  I have lost 245 pounds and am now working on medically necessary skin removal.

After 18 to 24 months. the malabsorption of the RNY is gone.  The small intestine grows more villi to compensate and restore absorption to normal,  you are left with restriction only.

That's why so many gastric bypass patients regain their weight...and then some. 

There is no restrictive dieting with the DS. simple carbs (white flour products, like white bread, cake, pies, cookies, etc.) and simple sugar (white and brown sugar, candy,  regular soda, etc.) are the only foods we DSers absorb 100% of. Protein and complex carbs at 50-60%, Fats(lipids) at 20% - which is why you see so many DSers eating high fat meals.  We need it to maintain digestive function.

Since we retain anatomically correct, yet much smaller stomachs, there are no forbidden foods, although simple carbs and simple sugars can inflict intestinal distress, BUT the choice is still *yours*, knowing full well that there will be unpleasant consequences, in the form of gas from Hades, and possibly diarrhea.  The stomach still does it's job, churning food and preparing it to be used by the body.  This surgery allowed me, for  the first time in my life, to eat like a normal person. Because the DS is the most malabsorptive surgery there is, we have to supplement heavily with vitamins and minerals, in order to remain healthy. My doctors all agreed that for me, the risks outweighed the benefits. 

Dr, Margaret Inman is the only surgeon in the state that does the Duodenal Switch, at St. Vincent's Bariatric Center of Excellence in Carmel, Indiana.  If after evaluation it is determined that the DS is not the best surgery for you, then Dr. Inman also does all the other weight loss surgeries.

Check the stats with my signature. and feel free to PM me if you would like more info.

If you are using Medicare and Medicaid, St. Vincent's and Dr. Inman accepts both. St. Vincent's has an entire unit for bariatrics, with specially trained bariatric nurses looking after you post-op.  

If you go to Barix in Michigan, your Indiana Medicaid will not work there, and you may wind up with out-of-pocket expenses.

At Dr. Inman's practice, Meridian Surgical Group, and at St. Vincent's there are people who will jump the insurance hoops for you, at least, that was my experience in 2009. I did the pre-op requirements, and they called me with approval and a surgery date when I was done.  Simple as that.

You stated that you friend wanted you to go to the Barix Clinic in Michigan.  This is a very personal and life-changing decision you are making. 

What do *you* want?

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics