South Bend.... Michawaka Suppoort Group

browneyes65
on 10/16/13 5:11 pm - IN

I have to find one, requirement  needed but I don't know how to find or where to start. Does anyone know where there is one and what to expect. Thanks

JazzyOne9254
on 11/10/13 12:53 pm, edited 11/10/13 12:57 pm

If you're going through St. Vincent's in Carmel, you have to go to their group.  It meets at the Mishawaka/Penn Public Library on Lincoln Way West in Mishawaka.  Second Tuesday of every month, from 6:30PM  to 8 PM.

St. Vincent's will give you a group attendance verification sheet, which you must have signed by the group moderator for each week that you are required to attend (requirements vary, based on the psychologist/psychiatrist recommendation).  When you get your sheet, please be sure to make blank copies.  Unless they've changed, you will need a fresh sheet for each group meeting you are required to attend.

I was required to attend for six months prior to surgery, but I'm sure it was due to my very high weight and severe morbid obesity (SMO).  I attened groups around the state, including a couple in Carmel.  I don't think there was a group in my local area affiliated with St. Vincent's at the time I had surgery, in fact, I was making plans to attend monthly out of town groups post-op.   Right now, St. Vincent's Carmel is the only location that has support groups specifically set up for DSers                    ( Duodenal Switch patients)

Other groups are either RNY(gastric bypass), LapBand, or General ( for any type of weight loss surgery).

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

browneyes65
on 11/13/13 3:20 pm - IN

I never got a attendance sheet with my packet. I just got a call to join one support group, my papers are just information on surgery no attendance sheets. My friend had RNY five years ago but did not go to St Vincents she went to Michigan and she told me I can go anywhere just as long as it is a weight loss support group because she did. Does it matter ?

JazzyOne9254
on 4/25/14 2:28 am

By now you've had your surgery, so I'm sure you gopt the question about St. V's support groups answered.

Did you get a DS or RNY/gastric bypass?

browneyes65
on 4/25/14 3:39 am - IN

RNY gastric bypass on Jan 8 this year and I have lost 50 lbs. It's not easy I'm still trying to get used to all the vitamins and my own meds. I hope as time goes on it will be easier. I go to my surgeon appointment next month not sure what blood work they will do but I hope they check everything.Trying to get in the protein and liquid and that is a challenge.I hope you are doing good. Take care.

JazzyOne9254
on 5/12/14 2:06 pm

Well, congrats on your surgery.  I hope it works for you.

At the time I had my surgery, St. Vincent's required that you exclusively attend their support groups pre-op, since they have them all over the state, and in locations near most of their patients.

I'm getting ready for Phase Two ( and hopefully Phase Last!) skin reduction surgery.

It was supposed to be Friday, but the surgeon's office called today and rescheduled it for Monday.

browneyes65
on 5/12/14 2:40 pm - IN

Does your Insurance pay for it ? I have Medicare and medicaid. Good Luck with your surgery.

Keeshaja
on 6/1/14 6:53 am
DS on 10/21/14

Hey congrats ! So what support group did you end up attending ? You never stated. 

Most Active
Recent Topics