Looking for a specific WLS who performs BPD (biliopancreatic diversion)

Susan S.
on 9/15/03 7:46 am - Wichita, KS
I had the Mason gastric bypass back in 1979, but of course gained that weight back plus 150 pounds more! I need someone who can do "revisions" and I AM looking into the BPD surgery to insure that I never gain the weight back! I AM getting new insurance Humana, and think the may pay, but need to find a doctor who will do the surgery. Thanks, Susan S.
Deanna_K
on 9/16/03 1:02 am - Sandy, OR
Susan...I'm not sure, but I'm thinking there is a Doc in K.C. that does that procedure...I'll do some checking with a friend of mine and get back to you...
Click
on 9/16/03 8:27 am
Susan, Dr. Sifers in KC does the BPD. I have no problem saying that the BPD was my first choice but am extremely glad to have switched to the RNY with Liv-Lite. Other than his policy to pay him in full up front (read my first profile for details, linked in my main profile), I really wanted to go with a surgeon part of a bariatric program. I'm more than pleased that I chose Liv-Lite and the RNY. I also personally think that the BPD is a not the best choice for those who are emotional eaters. The ability to continue to eat as before pre-op, I think leads to the stronger POSSIBILITY of weight re-gain than with the RNY. Although I'm not an emotional eater (I just like food, LOL) I can see that the BPD would so NOT have worked for me. Of course with ANY of the WLS anyone can out eat them and regain their weight. I just don't want you to be misled into thinking that you can't out eat the BPD because it can happen with any of the WLS. I looked all over to find a surgeon doing the BPD in the Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Missouri area and Dr. Sifers was the only one doing it at this time last year. Maybe there are more now? Not sure about that. Before you make the commitment to him, I urge you do continue to do your research. I obviously didn't have my surgery with him, so you may want to check with those who have. I do know that there have been some people who have had complications (and many who haven't) with him but that is their story to tell should they choose. Good luck in your research. Researching and asking lots of questions is certainly the key to finding a good surgeon with whom you can feel comfortable with. Sharon
Most Active
Recent Topics
SUPPORT GROUPS
KansasPrincess · 1 replies · 6483 views
Insurance Help.
tj91116 · 1 replies · 6391 views
Who is your primary doctor?
kw0299 · 8 replies · 7846 views
UHC Community Plan (KS Medicaid)?
kw0299 · 0 replies · 6880 views