Maybe the second time around is better.....

A C.
on 4/9/07 10:26 am - Marietta, GA

This is a repost from earlier today. Since I only got one response out of 155 views, I thought I'd try again.... Hello Everyone,

I’m writing today for advise, opinions, and suggestions. After all, this board is for support, right?

I was banded 10-03-06, I’ve lost about 40 pounds so far and I’ve had 4 fills.

My problem is that I am very frustrated because of how SLOWWWWW I am losing.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am thankful for the 40 I’ve lost and very thankful for my band but I feel like it’s such a struggle and maybe it’s because of something I’m doing or not doing. I've only lost like 2 pounds in the last 6 weeks!!

I’m trying to be positive and stay focused but it’s getting really hard….

I don’t think I need another fill at this time. I am currently at 3.25cc’s in my 4cc band. It’s weird, some days I feel like I could eat a horse but some days I am so tight ****il the evening) that I can’t eat solid foods. I know stress affects our band so maybe that’s why I’m a lot tighter on some days then others.

I am going to the gym at least 3 times a week. I know it wouldn’t hurt to increase that!!!

I just feel like with all of the changes (for the better) I’ve made in my diet and the exercising, I should have lost more by now or at least be losing each week.

I am always careful to get in my protein each day and drink LOTS of water. The one thing that I do, which I know doesn’t help is that I drink a glass of sweet tea almost everyday. That’s one habit I haven’t broken!!

Has anyone else felt like this or had the same experience? I appreciate any suggestions or advise.  

Thanks!!

AC

Donna O.
on 4/9/07 10:33 am - IN
Vicki posted this earlier today, maybe it will help?  Check out this topic. Topic: Eight Ways to Bust a Weight-Loss Plateau  I know it is not actually a plateau, but it might help to speed things  up?  Hope this helps, DOnna

MAGS44
on 4/9/07 10:41 am - CINCINNATI, OH
I am new to this banding thing, but here goes!!!! In the past i have found that I need to change some habits that you may not even think about. For insatnce, I live alone with 2 dogs and I have ahorrible habit of turning on th TV just for the noise. Since it is on I feel obligated to watch,  I am trying my best not to turn it on untill I truely want to watch. I can get more done, even if it is housework.  I also realize that I put the weight on 1lb ata time and it has to come off the same way. There may be a class at the gym you maybe able to try just for variety. Just a couple of suggestions. Keep up the good work,  I hope I am a GREAT LOSER like you. Good thoughts your way, Margaret
taw1975
on 4/9/07 11:23 am - DFW, TX
Congratulations on your weight loss! Okay so you were banded on 10/03/06 and have lost 40 pounds...roughly 6 months...that's 6.7 pounds per month, 1.6 pounds per week.  Most docs want you to lose 1-2 pounds per week so you are right where you should be from this calculation.  Additionally, I have found since I've been banded (November 14) that the weeks I'm not losing pounds, I'm losing inches.  Have you taken measurements?   As far as restriction, according to my doc you should be eating 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of solid food without being hungry for 3-4 hours.   If you are working out, you also may be building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat.  Finally, the two ladies that own my son's daycare are both banded.  They both went through a period of about 3 months after being banded where they lost no weight and then the weight started melting off.  I think your body just has to get adjusted to the changes.  I don't think the 1 glass of sweet tea is hurting you that much.   If you are drinking water, eating protien and exercising it will come off.  Make sure you are getting the 1200-1500 calories per day and if you have no weight loss in 6 weeks consider getting a fill.  Hope this helps,  Tonya

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/07 12:04 pm - Pensacola, FL
Hi AC!  By the time I sign on at night, too many pages have accumulated so I miss a bunch of posts.  Obviously yours was one.  I too am a slow loser.  Thus, my post Turtles Unite which I posted a few minutes ago.  I think you and I are the same--you like your sweet tea and I like my red wine.  We probably could boost our losses another .5 lb a week if we were willing to sacrifice those vices.  You've lost more per week than me...but I'm feeling like this last six weeks, my band finally started doing what it was designed to do.  I had three months of nothing.  In five months I've lost 18 lbs, six of those in the last six weeks.  I can tell a difference in my clothes and in my photos.  Take photos!!   Muscle weighs more than fat and takes up less room in clothes, so notice your change in the way clothes fit.  You're doing great.  You're just a turtle, like me.  There are many of us out there--I think lurking and afraid to post for fear of turning off newbies or perhaps intimidation by the rabbit losers.  I think coming on here and talking about it makes all the difference.  Hang in there.  Not only will this pass, but you're losing lots of weight.
Born Swimmer
on 4/9/07 12:21 pm - Sunny, FL
I did read it earlier, but I didn't have time to respond!  Sorry! The plateau busting post was a good one to read.  Maybe something on there can help. For me personally... 3 days of exercise would not come close to helping me lose weight.  I have to exercise almost every day... and work out hard.  I also have to use variety to avoid a plateau.  I up my weights when lifting weights.  I add intervals with running, do hills, run/walk intervals, long runs... but I also love it.  When I get better that will be the first thing I do! Losing slow isn't bad, especially if you only have time to exercise 3 days a week... I wouldn't lose a thing with that little of exercise.  Being active is the best way to lose weight.  I know someone who found a love for exercise and she deflated her band (because at 5' 10" and 132 pounds, she needed to eat more to maintain her activity level, and she's over 50 y/o). I hope this helped!

~AlyssaLips 2Band to Bypass (Band May 2005 --RNY July 2008)        

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

(What is Interstitial Cystitis)

Evolution of Dance :)

Meet my pouch... The Gremlin:
Go to fullsize imageImage Preview

arianna
on 4/9/07 11:03 pm - TN

Good morning AC!!  I was banded on Oct19, 2006 and have only lost 47lb!! I have not lost a lb in over a month Icalled lastthursday for another fill,but they are afraid to give me one as iwas very honest and told them I can still feel some restriction I have a very touchy esophagus and they are afraid Imight stretch it out  I have to wait at least anothrer10 more days (next Friday) before i can get a fill . I have been on so many diets over the years , I  believe I have messed up my metabolism and this lap band was the next step. i am also of the turtle club, I lose very slow but at least i am losing and so are you. I do not beleive you are doing anthing wrong .. MY surgeon is not happy with my results and  tells me i am not following  the super strict lap band doet (23oz  protein and 3 tbls vegggies) and he is right I am starving on that amount  he does mostly RNYS and he comapres me to them so I just argue back with himand stand my ground but it would sure help if I had a surgeon who was more understanding with lapbanders  weight loss . I must say he is an excellent and carefeul surgeon  and I  would be pick him again anyway , Lol... he does all his fills under xray and flouro and i always get a numbong  shot too. I  have had 3 fillsand I keep losing restriction each time though and I do not know why first time I had 1.8 .....2nd1.8 ( had lost to .06) third.. filled back to 1.8 (lost back to 1.4) in my 4cc band  so hopefully I can get past 2.cc next Friday if they give me any fill.. have to see .. HUG 

6/01/07 60lblost 7/5/07 -65lbs!.9/10/07.70lb.lost Sept26..75lb lost.10/29/07 80lbslost!11/12/07 85lblost.

Most Active