Seeking suggestions or help PLEASE

A C.
on 1/31/08 2:46 am - Marietta, GA

First I’d like to say congrats to all of you who have been so successful with your band. I’ve been banded about 16 months and I haven’t been successful at all!  Sometimes I wonder if I just don’t fully understand the whole band thing!       I’ve had sever fills & unfills too. I’ve been too lose, too tight, but never just right. I get stuck, BP, slime, etc.

Some days I can eat almost what ever I want and some days I can’t get much down. I feel like a complete failure and I hate the way I’m feeling. All in all I’m only down about 25 pounds from my highest weight!!

Don’t get me wrong, I know I need to find time to exercise more! Let’s face it, if I have all the motivation to exercise like I should I wouldn’t had the band to start with!

I can’t stand the thought of going back to my surgeon (who I really like) because since I’m gaining, and lot losing at all, he’ll tell me I need a fill. I don’t think I need a fill considering how much I slime!  

I have about 2.5 in my 4cc band. I am able to eat more in the evenings and I’m usually really tight in the mornings, like most of you. I also don’t think I’m too tight.

For example, today at lunch I tried eating a piece of grilled chicken, after 3 bites I was stuck and sliming. I’ve heard some people say chicken gives the trouble as far as getting stuck but it usually works best for me. I’m thinking I should start having a smoothie for lunch and eat only one meal a day….is that the answer?

I’m just so frustrated         I thought I’d turn to the board for some suggestions, ideas, etc.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!
krinannie
on 1/31/08 2:55 am - Vegas, BABY! And in a smaller Human Suit, NV
Are you chewing sufficiently or frustrated enough that that has sort of gone by the wayside? I suggest taking a deeeeeep breath, sitting down, and writing out some things. A column of foods that have workded/foods that just don't. Also, are you tracking all you eat and drink in something like Fitday or Spark People?  Are you coming here regularly to get thigns addressed as they occur? We want to help and we can. Sounds like you just need to get organized and know what you are eating when and also that you are moving. If you are tight, drink warm tea before eating. we will help!

Janine P.
on 1/31/08 2:55 am - Long Island, NY
Hi :) There are so many different methods you could use right now.  I would NOT suggest you go to one meal a day.  You need to boost your metabolism and to do that, you need to eat more frequently.  Aim for a breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner.  Stick to smart foods that go down easy.  Are you chewing enough?  Taking small enough bites?  What foods are you sneaking into your diet that shouldn't be there?  I'm with you on the exercise thing - I just don't.   However, you need to get your food in order.  I have yogurt for breakfast (full fat yogurt because it tides me over longer than the light yogurts), a protein shake for a snack, a light lunch (lean cuisine meal) then dinner is whatever I feel like, but in moderation.   You need to work with yourself.  It seems like you've lost motivation. Remind yourself why you got this band.  Go back to the basics with eating.  Maybe a liquid diet for a few days would give your weight loss a boost.   Best of luck!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Beth ..
on 1/31/08 3:06 am - Noblesville, IN
I don't have an answer for you.  I just wanted to say, sorry your having problems and I hope you get it worked out.

Beth

Down 78 lbs and now pregant!

susan24
on 1/31/08 3:06 am - Stuck in traffic or an airport near you, TX

I think you are right,  if you are sliming or getting stuck a lot,  the last thing you need is another fill. I know what you mean about some days eating everything,  other days can't get anything down. It can be frustrating! Maybe try smaller bites?  I don't know if you are already doing that..so not trying to make you mad.  Chicken is a difficult food for a lot of bandsters.  Do you like fish?   I eat tilapia a lot...or turkey chili.   there is a recipes forum on OH too...I have tried some of them...they are pretty good.  There are a lot geared towards RNY which isn't a bad thing,  because they are typically low carb,  low sugar, high protein. Exercise is tough for me too..I have been trying to force myself to do it.

Again,   I had my worst band experience EVER on grilled chicken . 

Hang in there...I am sure there will be some experienced bandsters that will offer you some better advice than I can give!

“Saying ‘I’m sorry’ is the same as saying ‘I apologize.’ Except at a funeral.?
-- Demetri Martin

Born Swimmer
on 1/31/08 3:06 am - Sunny, FL
Well, my band has always been picky... but when I had decent restriction, I could only do a protein shake at breakfast. Lunch was something soft (beans-cheese, soup, etc).  Snack was nuts or fiber bar.  Dinner was anything (meat, bread, rice, veggies, etc).  Dinner portion was about a TV dinner and it took me an hour to eat it.  I ate extremely slow and chewed everything to mush.  I never drank with my meals.  I exercised a lot.  It took a good 6 weeks for me to go from it being a mandatory change to something I enjoyed.  After 2-3 months, I loved my exercise.  In terms of that, find something you enjoy and do it.  After time, you will start to enjoy it (or not think of it as a chore). Good luck!

~AlyssaLips 2Band to Bypass (Band May 2005 --RNY July 2008)        

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

(What is Interstitial Cystitis)

Evolution of Dance :)

Meet my pouch... The Gremlin:
Go to fullsize imageImage Preview

cath1657
on 1/31/08 3:16 am - Port Orchard, WA
Well, you have more experience than me, but I think that a visit to your nutritionist might be in order.  It doesn't really sound like you need a fill, but it does sound like you may still need coaching with how you eat your food.  I have found that I have to adapt my eating/chewing to each fill.  I have been at my current fill for 4 months (9cc's in an 11 cc band) and still have more learning to do before it will be my friend.  I will go several days being able to eat pretty much everything, (NOT bread) thinking maybe I need more of a fill and then, out of nowhere (no aunt flo, here) I get rudely reminded I have a band.  Sure, I would like my weight loss to be faster, but I refuse to advance until I know I can handle it. I pretty much only slime if my food is too dry or too big and hasn't quite got past the bottom of my esophogus (least that's how it feels).  Do you 'lube' your food with sauces or condiments?  Maybe a protein drink in the morning when you are tight.  Have you tried drinking warm liquid before you eat to 'open you up'?  I don't think replacing 1 meal with a protein drink is so bad, but only having one main meal might be a problem. JMHO Cathy H
capecoddogs
on 1/31/08 6:18 am
Hi there!!  I am glad that you came back to the board---let the members here help and encourage you.... Maybe it would help to have a weight-loss "buddy"....someone in your social circle, or your family, or someone who you could be accountable to re. your progress...and just talk to about how frustrating this can be at times. What works for me is making a list and taking an inventory of where I am and where I want to be.... I only had my surgery last June, but  but there was a time in Oct./November when I stopped coming to the board and slacked up big time on my accountability....the honeymoon had kind of worn off.  I noticed that when I checked in all day with OH that my commitment and attitude got better.  I need to make an effort thought to identify with and NOT compare myself to others though because I always feel like someone else is doing way better than me. I am having trouble getting my exercise in too because I am dealing with some major orthopedic problems, so I am trying to be more vigilant about my food. What you should stop doing is looking at what you think you did "wrong" and start looking at a few things that you can start to change now--and look at all the progress you have made .....You went through a big surgery, AND you have lost 25 pounds....that's a start...look at two or three things that you can start doing right now to jump start your weightloss.  You didn't mention drinking your water.....when I don't drink enough I have major problems with sliming, getting stuck, and puking....and it's something I am still working on... And I know this might sound "weird" but this past week I have finally come to realize that my band has a mind of its own....and I am still trying to figure out....what I can eat varies from day to day big time---I have started to make a little list of things that I can eat somedays when some things are agreeing with me..... and I am finding out that "working" my band is actually pretty hard...I like routine and predictability and I am starting to feel that my band is this independent entity living inside my body!!  and WE are usually not on the same page every day...I can't speak for you, but this is pretty discouraging for me. By all means go see your surgeon and nut.....the lapband is a partnership....no one can do this alone, and you shouldn't be expected to---good luck....Karen
Matata 2
on 1/31/08 9:14 am - Minneapolis, MN
Know that you are NOT ALONE! We all struggle and have different journeys. It is through asking for help and sharing experiences that we can learn and grow on on WL journeys. I had RNY and the lap band revision...talk about feeling frustrated and feeling like a failure. To top it off, my brothher had RNY after me with NO problems. I had to work through taking responsibility for the things I can change and the things I had/have no control over. I know that I need to exercize on a consistent basis to be successful long-term. Funny how knowing and doing are 2 different things. Sometimes it helps me to work out with a friend, but what has helped the most is building activities into my LIFE that I will enjoy and keep doing. I start slow, parking my car farther away from the doors, taking a 10 minute walk around my building at lunch, and then I gradually build by adding gym time into my schedule. I always start with 2 days per week of 30-60 minutes and then build up to more times per week or longer workouts. I also vary what I do so I don't get bored. Some people thrive more on routine, so we have to do what works for US! And know that ONE good swift kick in the a$$  is better than a personal beat-down~we have to learn to stop punishing ourselves and making excuses. As for the food issues try the journalling. It may help you see a pattern to the sliming /PBing /stuck incidences. Start with what you eat/ the amount / and how you feel...then worry about calories and fat later. I've found that I can not eat any food straight...I have to mix up my bites. I can feel stuck or slime from 2 bites of WELL CHEWED chicken. but if I mix up the bites with my veggie or fuit I do not get stuck or slime. I have also found the water content of the food an issue. Microwaving leftovers will get stuck even if I could eat it the first day. Hope some of the ideas help you. Just remember we all share struggles and successes. Most importantly, we are here to help one another in this journey.
Matata 2  Pre-op 320/Current 152/Goal 132  
Most Active