Say it's meal time and you're not hungry....

Lindsey C.
on 7/11/09 11:13 pm
Do you go ahead and it because it's time to eat or do you wait until you feel hungry?  I ask because since my last fill...I eat breakfast but am not hungry for lunch until about 2-3 in the afternoon.  By that time, I don't really need dinner if I eat lunch.

Anyone else deal with this?  What do you do?

Highest Weight/1st Consult WeightSurgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal Weight
327                          322                         308.5                        198.5        165  
lucky62756
on 7/12/09 12:09 am - York Haven, PA
VSG on 12/02/14
I have found that I too, don't eat reg. meals...I "forget" to eat...I try to carry almonds or a protein bar with me at all times..That way when I realize that I "forgot' to eat my reg. meal, I eat my "snacks" until my next meal...I dont' do this very often, but I feel that atleast I am getting some protein in when I can't eat a reg. meal...I also drink alot of protein waters...And I try to drink aleast 3 glasses of 1% milk aday..."Lucky"

2/09 pre. 264.7            214 lbs. Band removal.  4/29/20014       revision to sleeve 12/2/14  243.4

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/09 12:19 am

If possible, eat when you are hungry only.  Sometimes we have to plan our schedules around other people, and in that case I will eat a few bites of the "meal" and then have some almonds or other protein snack later if the few bites don't tide me over to the next meal.

After awhile, people get used to your nibbling habits and there is little comment.  BIG production meals, like Thanksgiving or some special dinners, I try to time my "before" eating so that I will be hungry for the meal.

It's taken a few holidays to learn that if I nibble while I cook-I can't eat with the family. 

Lisa O.
on 7/12/09 1:04 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I would say eat when you're hungry, but make sure you have something healthy near by if you go too long between meals.  Sometimes if I don't eat at my "normal" mealtime I'll get so ravinous all of a sudden that I'll make a poor food choice out of desperation.  I usually keep a Pure Protein bar in my handbag for that very reason. 

Don't force yourself to eat, but DO make sure you are getting in all of your protein.  It won't help if you skip meals and come in under you daily protein goal.  You need the energy to function and stay healthy.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Nicki H.
on 7/12/09 3:53 am - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with
I get that a lot.  Esp since my last fill 1.5 weeks ago.  It gets worse because thinking it's dinner time I take my vitamins with lik 24 oz water, which makes me even less hungry.  Sometimes, but not often enough I go to the gym so that I don't eat out of "obligation"  There have been times though where I don't eat dinner, or if I get hungry later I might have some fruit or vegi chips and hummus.

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

Kate -True Brit
on 7/12/09 6:02 am - UK

Different people. different ways of doing it! I quite often forget to eat lunch and as long as my overall daily intake is OK, I am fine with that. If you find you are not getting enough nutrients, have a few healthy snacks.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

pineview01
on 7/12/09 6:21 am - Davison, MI
I guess I'm the only opposite one here.  I was told to eat at certain times as much as possible so as not to get hungry and over eat and to keep surgery levels stable.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Krisican2
on 7/12/09 9:30 am
My Dr told me the same thing.  I am very rarely hungry, but was told to try to eat a little of something or a few bites the same times each day if possible. 

Kristy

Kristy K.
Obesity Help Support Group Leader
"On the lighter side"  Everyone and anyone welcome!

kimkimmie
on 7/12/09 6:23 am, edited 7/12/09 6:23 am - Jacksonville, FL
My surgeon says that for folks trying to lose weight that breakfast is the least important meal of the day.

Totally against what most say, but he said our bodies are still in the fat burning process that occurs at night while we are sleeping until we take our first bite of food, then our bodies switch over to start burning the carbs/calories in the food we just ate.

He said if we are able to eat just 1-2 meals a day that is fine and actually great!

That said... I still can eat more than I want but less than I used to...  I eat smaller meals, but usually 3 meals a day most days of the week and up to 3-4 small snacks (I just try to make the best low carb choices that I can).

Keep up the good work :0)

Kim
~Kim 

***I was at 27 pounds lost on the day of surgery -- the loss shown on ticker includes my pre-op weight loss***
Lindsey C.
on 7/12/09 8:49 am
On July 12, 2009 at 1:23 PM Pacific Time, kimkimmie wrote:
My surgeon says that for folks trying to lose weight that breakfast is the least important meal of the day.

Totally against what most say, but he said our bodies are still in the fat burning process that occurs at night while we are sleeping until we take our first bite of food, then our bodies switch over to start burning the carbs/calories in the food we just ate.

He said if we are able to eat just 1-2 meals a day that is fine and actually great!

That said... I still can eat more than I want but less than I used to...  I eat smaller meals, but usually 3 meals a day most days of the week and up to 3-4 small snacks (I just try to make the best low carb choices that I can).

Keep up the good work :0)

Kim
Thanks Kim! :)

I am so not hungry for breakfast.  Maybe I'll try skipping it again and see what happens.  I'm fine with some coffee in the morning and I'm good until lunchtime (which at work is usually 11 a.m.). 

Highest Weight/1st Consult WeightSurgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal Weight
327                          322                         308.5                        198.5        165  
Most Active